Can vacuum packaging cause long-lasting damage to pressure sensors?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can vacuum packaging cause long-lasting damage to pressure sensors?

Jump to solution
andrey_g
Contributor I

MPL115A2 specifically.

Storage time is several months.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The pressure inside the sealed chamber on port 2 it’s about 0kPa.

In absolute pressure sensors, Pressure is applied to the top of the die while the bottom of the die is a vacuum sealed reference (0kPa).

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Basically, pressure on Port2 cannot be higher than pressure on Port1 (P1 should be always greater or equal P2), in the case of the MPL115A2, since it’s an absolute pressure sensor, Port2 it’s sealed at a specific pressure, but, you don’t need to worry about it on the sealed bag vacuum package sent with the MPL115A2 devices, since in this package pressure on Port1 should not be lower than pressure on Port2.

In fact, if you are still worried about the possible negative pressure on the package that could be affecting the pressure sensor (which is not being damaged), then I would recommend you to remove them from the vacuum package, the MPL115A have a MSL level of 1 and an FLOOR life defined as UNLIMITED, so there is no risk on moisture issue.

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

andrey_g
Contributor I

I understand that the package in which the sensor is supplied by the manufacturer is safe, but i was asking more about our own packaging.

I guess it all comes down to the pressure at which port 2 is sealed at? I didn't find any specific numbers about this in the datasheet.

0 Kudos
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The pressure inside the sealed chamber on port 2 it’s about 0kPa.

In absolute pressure sensors, Pressure is applied to the top of the die while the bottom of the die is a vacuum sealed reference (0kPa).

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

0 Kudos