Can one use a pressure sensor to measure weights ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dharamkr
Contributor I

For example - A typical weighing machine.

My theory is putting weight on top of a pressure sensor will increase the pressure which can be used to calculate weight and further passed to the application/cloud ? Is this do-able  - If yes, which sensors are recommended ? Any insight/docs/links/info is highly appreciated.

Thanks, Dharam

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Leojunin
Contributor III

Hello Dharam. It depends on what you're trying to do is possible. For example: Imagine a syringe with water to which you have connected to the pressure sensor via a hose filled with air (system of communicating vessels) you have the syringe with water halfway and the effect of communicating vessels, the water will attempt to climb through the hose to the sensor compressing the air and increasing the pressure. If you apply a force in the syringe, you could measure a force. Now to know the accuracy Might make many calculations or take a couple of baseline measurements and make a table.

At least I try.

Cheers

0 Kudos

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dharam,

We offer pressure sensors that are designed to measure air pressure. The devices must have an air pressure applied to the sensing surface in order to respond.  We do not offer any sensors that respond to a physical force such as the touch of a finger or other non-air pressure sources of force.

Will your application include a source of air pressure that could be applied to the sensor through a tube? If not, our devices may not be suitable for your application.

Here is an application note that may offer some insight as to how our pressure sensors can be used:

AN1573 - Understanding Pressure and Pressure Measurement

Unfortunately, we do not have an application note to guide in using an air pressure sensor for a weight measuring application.

I hope this information will be useful for you.

If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.

David Diaz.

0 Kudos