Can I use accelerometer to measure movement of a robotic arm? Is it possible to measure distance of robotic arm with respect to earth's surface and also change in distance when it moves?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use accelerometer to measure movement of a robotic arm? Is it possible to measure distance of robotic arm with respect to earth's surface and also change in distance when it moves?

sachinmunjpara
Contributor I

Hi

I want to know whether accelerometer can measure distance from earth's surface or not. If yes then how to measure it as these accelerometers gives just tilt and g information. also if not then there is any other solution from freescale which I can use for this purpose?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Joshevelle
Senior Contributor I

Hello Sachin,

Thanks for using our community. Please notice that accelerometers can only sense acceleration, you could approximate velocity and/or position by integrating the acceleration.  I'd recommend you the MMA845x, please click in the following URL for detailed information:

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MMA8451Q

I would rather recommend you another solution like IR or ultrasound. Other way might be to have a "zero point" or a known position, then calculate the steps required to take the arm from the known position to ground (if stepper motors are being used).

Have fun!

Josh

0 Kudos