Are the differential pressure sensors suited to be used with diesel or petro fuel mediums ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the differential pressure sensors suited to be used with diesel or petro fuel mediums ?

zeeshannoorwala
Contributor II

I am trying to develop a Fuel level monitoring data aquisition system, and therefore i am selecting MPX2053 and similar sensors for upto 4 meters of fuel height in tank.

What i want to know is, are these differential pressure sensors suited to be used with Diesel and/or Petro fuels ?

If not, can you suggest which alternate sensors or methods i may use for my application ?

One option was to use a Stainless steel based Differential pressure Transmitter (4 to 20 mA output) and connect it to my system. This, is a ready built solution but is very costly compared to discrete sensors based system. Therefore i am prefering to use sensors from NXP / Freescale, as i have had previous experiecne with the same in a different application.

Thank you.

Regards,

Zeeshan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Zeeshan,

Please note that for all NXP standard pressure sensor products, any environment other than dry air, will have some impact on the reliability and lifetime of the product. NXP's silicon pressure sensors are NOT compatible with oil, gas, petrol and water or water vapors, or chemicals.

A determination must be made if this impact is acceptable for the application. That means that you cannot use our pressure sensors in such applications in which the sensor may be in direct contact with the above mentioned media's. After some working hours, maybe days the device would fail.

I would like refer to the following application notes that would be worth to be considered in addition to the provided information and solutions:

1. AN3728: Media Compatibility for IPS PRT Pressure Sensors

2. AN1516: Liquid Level Control Using a Pressure Sensor

3. AN1950: Water Level Monitoring

I hope this information will be useful for you.

If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.

David Diaz.

PS: If my answer helps to solve your question, please mark it as "Correct". Thank you.

0 Kudos