FXLS8471Q - FIFO Fill mode example code

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share here one of my examples I created for the FXLS8471Q accelerometer while working with the Freescale FRDM-KL25Z platform and FRDM-FXS-MULT2-B sensor expansion board. It illustrates the use of the embedded FIFO buffer to collect the 14-bit acceleration data that are read from the FIFO using an interrupt technique through the SPI interface. For details on the configurations of the FIFO buffer as well as more specific examples and application benefits, please refer to the AN4073.

The FXLS8471Q is initialized as follows:

void FXLS8471Q_Init (void)
{/* The software reset does not work properly in SPI mode as described in Appendix A of the FXLS8471Q data sheet. Therefore the following piece of the code is not used. I have shortened R46 on the FRDM-FXS-MULTI-B board to activate a hardware reset. FXLS8471Q_WriteRegister(CTRL_REG2, 0x40); // Reset all registers to POR values */
  FXLS8471Q_WriteRegister(CTRL_REG1, 0x00); // Standby mode
FXLS8471Q_WriteRegister(F_SETUP_REG, 0xA0); // FIFO Fill mode, 32 samples
  FXLS8471Q_WriteRegister(CTRL_REG4, 0x40); // Enable FIFO interrupt, push-pull, active low
  FXLS8471Q_WriteRegister(CTRL_REG5, 0x40); // Route the FIFO interrupt to INT1 - PTA5  
FXLS8471Q_WriteRegister(CTRL_REG1, 0x19); // ODR = 100Hz, Active mode
}

In the ISR, only the interrupt flag is cleared and the FIFO_DataReady variable is set to indicate that the FIFO is full.

void PORTA_IRQHandler()
{
PORTA_PCR5 |= PORT_PCR_ISF_MASK; // Clear the interrupt flag
FIFO_DataReady = 1;
}

Once the FIFO_DataReady variable is set, the STATUS register (0x00) is read to clear the FIFO interrupt status bit and deassert the INT1 pin. Afterwars the FIFO is read using a 192-byte (3 x 2 x 32 bytes) burst read starting from the OUT_X_MSB register (0x01). Then the raw acceleration data are converted to signed 14-bit values and real values in g’s.

if (FIFO_DataReady)
{
FIFO_DataReady = 0;
FIFO_Status = FXLS8471Q_ReadRegister(STATUS_REG); // Read the Status register to clear the FIFO interrupt status bit
FXLS8471Q_ReadMultiRegisters(OUT_X_MSB_REG, 6*Watermark_Val, AccelData); // Read the FIFO using a burst read    
for (i = 0; i < Watermark_Val; i++)  
{
// 14-bit accelerometer data
  Xout_Accel_14_bit[i] = ((short) (AccelData[0 + i*6]<<8 | AccelData[1 + i*6])) >> 2; // Compute 14-bit X-axis acceleration output values
  Yout_Accel_14_bit[i] = ((short) (AccelData[2 + i*6]<<8 | AccelData[3 + i*6])) >> 2; // Compute 14-bit Y-axis acceleration output values
 Zout_Accel_14_bit[i] = ((short) (AccelData[4 + i*6]<<8 | AccelData[5 + i*6])) >> 2; // Compute 14-bit Z-axis acceleration output values
  // Accelerometer data converted to g's
  Xout_g[i] = ((float) Xout_Accel_14_bit[i]) / SENSITIVITY_2G; // Compute X-axis output values in g's
 Yout_g[i] = ((float) Yout_Accel_14_bit[i]) / SENSITIVITY_2G; // Compute Y-axis output values in g's
  Zout_g[i] = ((float) Zout_Accel_14_bit[i]) / SENSITIVITY_2G; // Compute Z-axis output values in g's  
}
}

Deassertion of the INT1 pin after reading the STATUS register (0x00).

65333_65333.JPGSTATUS reg read.JPG

ODR is set to 100Hz, so the FIFO is read every 320 ms (10 ms x 32 samples).

65334_65334.pngFIFO reads.png

The calculated values can be watched in the "Variables" window on the top right of the Debug perspective.

65335_65335.pngDebugger view.png

Attached you can find the complete source code written in the CW for MCU's 10.6. If there are any questions regarding this simple example project, please feel free to ask below. Your feedback or suggestions are also welcome.

Regards,

Tomas

Original Attachment has been moved to: FRDM-KL25Z-FXLS8471Q-FIFO.rar

Labels (1)
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎09-11-2020 05:39 AM
Updated by: