Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger ADC convertion via TRGMUX_IN0

Jump to solution
SPaulus
Contributor II

Hi,

the task:
Measurement of the positive and negative voltage of an external PWM signal with variable duty cycle.
The PWM signal is connected to the controller via PTA0/ADC0_SE0 and via PTB5/TRGMUX_IN0.
Frequency of the PWM signal: 1kHz (1ms period time)
Duty Cycle: 1% ... 99%

Approach:
Start ADC measurement via rising and falling edge at TRGMUX_IN0.

Problem:
ADC measurement cannot be started via TRGMUX_IN0. Found code examples and Refrence Manual are not helpful here.

Question:
How must ADC, PDB and TRGMUX be configured to start ADC measurement via rising and falling edge at TRGMUX_IN0.
Are there any corresponding code examples or pseudo code?

Alternative approaches:
- Trigger measurement via interrupt, triggered by PTB5 -> Too slow.
- Massive oversampling of the PWM signal (min. 100 measurements per period) -> Expensive, especially in the processing of the measured values.

I hope someone can help me.
Many thanks already.

BR, Sebastian

0 Kudos
1 Solution
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sebastian,

If you trigger the ADC directly with TRGMUX_IN0, you need to use a SW pretrigger as it is explained in the RM,

The note below Figure 43-2. ADC0_PDB0 ADC Triggering scheme example.

If you would like to use the PBD module, I would recommend the S32K1xx motor control demos:

MCSPTE1AK144: S32K144 Development Kit for BLDC and PMSM motor control

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/automotive-motor-control-solutions/arm-based-solutions...

AN12235 3-Phase Sensorless PMSM Motor Control Kit with S32K144

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12235.pdf

4.1.1. Module interconnection

Figure 11. S32K144 module interconnection

The demo uses a FTM trigger instead of TRGMUX_IN0 but it shows how to configure the PDB module.

Regards,

Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SPaulus
Contributor II

<deleted>

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sebastian,

If you trigger the ADC directly with TRGMUX_IN0, you need to use a SW pretrigger as it is explained in the RM,

The note below Figure 43-2. ADC0_PDB0 ADC Triggering scheme example.

If you would like to use the PBD module, I would recommend the S32K1xx motor control demos:

MCSPTE1AK144: S32K144 Development Kit for BLDC and PMSM motor control

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/automotive-motor-control-solutions/arm-based-solutions...

AN12235 3-Phase Sensorless PMSM Motor Control Kit with S32K144

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12235.pdf

4.1.1. Module interconnection

Figure 11. S32K144 module interconnection

The demo uses a FTM trigger instead of TRGMUX_IN0 but it shows how to configure the PDB module.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
SPaulus
Contributor II

Hello Daniel,

thanks to your answer I found a problem why the example(s) did not work for me. It is necessary to clean and rebuild the complete project after changing the settings via "Processor Expert" / "Component Inspector".
All in all, I was able to get the "ADC PAL" example working and adjust the necessary settings for my project.

One question is still open: is it possible to trigger the ADC conversion not only on a falling edge (that's what I have now), but additionally on a rising edge at TRGMUX_IN0?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Many greetings,
Sebastian

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sebastian,

I'm suprised you can trigger the ADC with a falling edge.

Because as per the ADC specification, "when an ADHWT source is available and hardware trigger is enabled, that is SC2[ADTRG] = 1, a conversion is initiated on the rising edge of ADHWT." (44.5.3 Hardware trigger and channel selects)

There is no option to choose the active edge, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
SPaulus
Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

oh right, that's my mistake. The ADC signal is inverted to the TRGMUX signal. This means that the ADC sees a falling edge but is triggered by a rising edge at TRIGMUX_IN0. S Sorry for this.

So according to the specification the ADC measurement is actually triggered at a high signal. So if the hardware trigger is activated when the signal at TRIGMUX_IN0 is already high, then the measurement is started immediately and not at the next rising edge. Have I understood this correctly?

All in all, this means that I can only measure the second voltage component of the PWM via a time offset. Then I try it with this.

Thank you so much for your support, Daniel.

Many greetings,
Sebastian

0 Kudos
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Sebastian,

Yes, that is correct.

If the trigger is already HIGH, the ADC module detects an rising edge on the trigger input and a conversion is started when the HW trigger gets enabled in the ADC module & the corresponding pretrigger for the channel is asserted.

Yes, for this use case you need to use the PDB module to delay the conversion.

BR, Daniel

0 Kudos