Some of S32K142 MCU units not waken up with crystal oscillator low gain setting (1M extenral resistor added)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some of S32K142 MCU units not waken up with crystal oscillator low gain setting (1M extenral resistor added)

yihe_zuo
Contributor I

Hi all,

Based on the S32K guideline, when there is 1M feedback external resistor in the crystal oscillator peripheral , the high gain should be set. However, we set it with low gain which still works very well with a lot of MCU units and only very few handful of samples sometimes can't be waken up.

May we know the root causes and what is the best solution?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

nxf58904
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Two reasons will cause this issue(work then can't work).

1.Powe. Check the broken pcb's power

2.Welding.Check if the crystal is not be welded well.

Jianyu: 

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

nxf58904
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Let us do a test first. Watch if crystal works .And 1M register is OK .But also please have a check with if cap was wrong when print PCB?

Watch the wave when it works. If it is a very different from 8M,make a change with cap.

I think the most reason caused the issue is PCB printing if there is a little mount .

Jianyu: 

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

yihe_zuo
Contributor I

Have you ever seen the issues from other customers? If so, how did they solve the issue?

0 Kudos

yihe_zuo
Contributor I

The defected Unit(PCB printing) worked at the beginning. MCU is triggered by a ignition off-on line for wake up and sleep.

after several hours, the unit didn't work somehow(we observed the crystal outputted waveform after the failure happened, it seemed

the MCU is stuck not to wake up due to internal parts).

The capacitors matching with MCU was confirmed with oscillator suppliers without issues.

It seemed it is not PCB printing problem rather than NXP itself internal issues for the defected unit.

if it is from a PCB print issue, how do we explain it worked at the beginning?

Changing the HW may trigger some issues on the HW so that we didn't do the SWAP testing on MCU or other peripheral devices(such as the feedback resistors).

Have you ever met some cases from NXP that MCU didn't work due to loss of clocks.

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

0 Kudos

nxf58904
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

How about 10M external register when using low gain ?

Have a try , any questions update I will support you.Pls.

Jianyu: 

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos

yihe_zuo
Contributor I

You meant changing the 1M resistor to 10M resistor with low gain setting, right?

if so ,may we know the reasons?

In addition, How to handle other samples already delivered to customers testing without issues?

if testing for a long times, no issues, does that mean it is fine forever?

what is the root cause for the different behaviors in different MCU units with the same SW?

Shedding Any lights will be really appreciated.

0 Kudos

yihe_zuo
Contributor I

what do you mean by 10M external register? We used 8M external crystal oscillator.

Have you met with these problems before?

looking forward to your reply.

0 Kudos