Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K344 as a clock source

atx85
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I am a very novice user.  I am modifying an existing board design that is using the S32K344.  I need to use the S32K344 to output several clocks at the GPIO pins to be used as clock source for other parts on the board.  The clocks need to be in the 10MHz - 40MHz range.  I need about six such clocks.  I'd like to use the S32K344 to do this job rather than having to add an additional clock synthesizer chip to the board.  The S32K344 is running at 160MHz via the PLL, and the an 8MHz external clock reference is connected to the EXTAL pin.  I'm not sure what approach to take, based on my cursory review of the reference manual.

Any advice and guidance would be very much appreciated.

4 Replies

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Craig,

There is output clock available on this device for such purpose. With MUX_6_CSC[SELCTL] you can select the clock which will be on the output pin. However the output clock pin is only 1 (CLKOUT_RUN).

petervlna_1-1658138591794.png

Best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

atx85
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thanks Peter,

However, I am already using CLOCKOUT_RUN on PTD10.  So, I need to find a way to output additional clocks on other pins.

Best Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos

petervlna
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Ok, what comes to my mind then is to use eMIOS to generate switching on pins.

However it depends on how much precise the clocks must be on the pins. As the 40MHz won the any sharp signal, but enough for clocking for some device. Not suitable for some motor drivers I guess.

best regards,

Peter

0 Kudos

atx85
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Thank you Peter.

I will check into eMIOS in the reference manual.

Best Regards,

Craig

0 Kudos