cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K144EVB CAN transceiver with NXP example model

Jump to solution
neffnan
Contributor III

I am trying to run the NXP MBDT CAN example titled "CAN_Traffic", model flexcan_s32k14x.slx, on the evaluation board S32K144EVB-Q100. I am using MATLAB/Simulink 2020a, and version 4.2.0 of NXP's MBDT. The physical configuration is:

- board is powered by 12VDC to the J16 connector (the jumper on J107 is on pins 1-2)
- CAN cable from the CAN connector on the board to a Y-splitter
- one arm of the Y is connected via a Vector VN1630A CANcase to a USB port on the PC
- the other arm of the Y is connected to a PEAK PCAN-USB, which is connected to another USB port on the PC

I am running Peak's PCAN-View and Vector's CANalyzer on the PC, and transmitting the message required by the NXP example model, ID 0x3FE, from PCAN-View. 

When I ran this setup yesterday, with an evaluation board with the UJA1169 disabled and a different transceiver (TI SN65HVD230Q, if it matters) wired up externally, everything worked exactly as advertised.

Today, with exactly the same test hardware and cabling, plus a brand-new evaluation board (with the UJA1169 untouched), I'm getting no traffic on the CAN bus. PCAN-View reports that bus Status is "OK" and the red LED on the board is on when everything is first powered up, but when I start transmitting msg 0x3FE from PCAN-View, the bus Status in PCAN-View changes to "BUS-OFF", neither CANalyzer nor PCAN-View show any bus traffic, and the red LED is not blinking. (I have the cycle time long enough on the transmission of msg 0x3FE that I saw the blinking quite clearly yesterday, so I know the board is not seeing 0x3FE today.)

So the NXP CAN_Traffic example model worked with the TI transceiver yesterday but is not working with the UJA1169 on an unmodified board today, with otherwise exactly the same setup.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks. --Nancy

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nancy,

The MBDT is currently supported on our community only.
If I am not able to help you find out the issue, maybe you need to post the questions there.
The community is monitored by our experts on the tools.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you please let me know the version of S32K144EVB?
For the RevC version, the J107 should connect 2-3.(External 12V power\ using CAN transceiver of SBC)

J107 P5V_SBC.jpg
If you don't want to use external CAN transceiver, then you can connect CAN bus at J13.

CAN Physical Layer.jpg

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
neffnan
Contributor III

Solved, by taping some iffy CAN cable connections together.  I'm going to mark your answer, @Robin_Shen, as the correct one, however, so people can find the helpful info.

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nancy,

The MBDT is currently supported on our community only.
If I am not able to help you find out the issue, maybe you need to post the questions there.
The community is monitored by our experts on the tools.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Would you please let me know the version of S32K144EVB?
For the RevC version, the J107 should connect 2-3.(External 12V power\ using CAN transceiver of SBC)

J107 P5V_SBC.jpg
If you don't want to use external CAN transceiver, then you can connect CAN bus at J13.

CAN Physical Layer.jpg

Best Regards,
Robin
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.