Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K144 -Conflict in PORTA PIN5 CFG vs RESET signal

Jump to solution
andreaolivieri1
Contributor II

Hi there.

I'm working with the evaluation board  "S32K144 _EVB - Q100".

I'm performing an integration of the SDK drivers examples within a project (drivers are provided  in the S32DS installation folder, I did some modifications but mainly they are the same).

The tool chain used is:

• Compiler +  Linker IAR for ARM for the executable building.
  • IAR EWB configured with a SEJJER J-Link interface (ultra+).
  • SEGGER JLINK Flasher for download the executable without debugging.

After the latest change I did on the IO ports configuration something strange happen:

The microcontroller seems to be completely inaccessible from the DEBUG and the FLASHER.

However the SW inside the the microcontroller works.

After some investigation seems that the RESET port is just like inhibited.

If I generate a reset pulse on the uC pin the SW keep to work.

The change I did seems to be related somehow to the RESET pin configuration: see below...

GPIO_PORTC_configuration_before_&_after.jpg

The configuration structure is re-adaptation (for my project) of the "pin_settings_config_t" that I found in an SDK example.

That configuration affects the PORTA PIN5 connected to the RESET of the EVB: see below...

GPIO_PORTC_PIN5_board_location.jpg

I've got a couple of questions:

1. Is this microcontroller provided with a feature which inhibit the reset function via SW configuration?
  2. If yes...How can I get back from this situation? Because the debugger is not even able to communicate with the micro.

Thanks in advance.

BR.

A.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,
Yes, the PTA5 reset pin can be reconfigured for alternative functions. The reset function is the default one, so you need to reset the device. Since you cannot use that pin to restart the MCU, you need to connect to the MCU after power-on-reset in the short time window before it gets reprogrammed again.
P&E has a recovery utility that tries to halt the execution during the start-up sequence.
Please refer to Bricking and Recovering FRDM-KL25Z Boards: Reset, SWD Clock and Low Power

Regards,
Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,
Yes, the PTA5 reset pin can be reconfigured for alternative functions. The reset function is the default one, so you need to reset the device. Since you cannot use that pin to restart the MCU, you need to connect to the MCU after power-on-reset in the short time window before it gets reprogrammed again.
P&E has a recovery utility that tries to halt the execution during the start-up sequence.
Please refer to Bricking and Recovering FRDM-KL25Z Boards: Reset, SWD Clock and Low Power

Regards,
Daniel

0 Kudos