cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K bootloader over CAN

naderkhamess
Contributor III

Hello NXP,

my objective: is to update S32K148 via CAN . 

Please someone correct me if i am wrong. For each processor variant, there is a way to update the firmware.

For S32K144, there is example provided to update with RAppIDBL using CAN tools from Vector, as well as decribed in AN12323 Firmware_update.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12323.pdf

For S32K146, there is example provided to update firmware as described in AN1232.

For S32K148, there is example firmware to update via UART provided with java bootloader application. 

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12218.pdf 

The problem is we are keeping the decision of which variant until last moment of our development because it is not easy to predict now how much flash we will use. So i will ask for both variants and consider the best way to start at the same time keep it flexible for any possible changes. 

1. For S32K144, with RAppIDBL it is possible to update firmware via CAN either with Vector tools ( e.g CANcaseXL or CANCardXL ) ? 

2. For S32K148, it is not possible to update firmware using RAppIDBL because its not supported and there is no.rbf file for it? right?

so if my conclusion is correct, If i want to update firmware for S32K148 via CAN,

either to use AN12218 as reference and change communication layer (UART-->CAN) or use AN12323 and migrate from S32K146 to 148.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Nader

7 Replies

siddharth_sameer
Contributor II

@dianabatrlovacan you tell me how to get rbf file for s32k144

0 Kudos

siddharth_sameer
Contributor II

hey @dianabatrlova @jiri_kral @naderkhamess 

I was looking for the files (demo code) of S32K144 use case in AN12323. It would be helpful if you guys attach those files here.

Thanks in advance!!!

Siddharth Sameer

0 Kudos

dianabatrlova
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I would like to mention that there is a unified bootloader framework and supports also S32K148 device.

Unified bootloader stack based on UDS and CAN/LIN TP protocol: 

https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/snippets-boot-code-headers-monitors/unified_bootloader_framework.zi... 

Unified Bootloader – User Guide

1. Yes, also, you can refer to section "2.9 Enabling Vector Hardware" in the RAppidBL_UserManual.pdf

2. Unfortunately, S32K148 is not supported by RAppIDBL and there is no .rbf file for this device. 

I hope it helps.

Best regards,

Diana

shenfei_li
Contributor I

Hello Diana,

I have the same requirement for the UI tool and created a ticket(case: 00295468).

Could you kindly attach the tool to my ticket?

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos

naderkhamess
Contributor III

Hello Diana,

Thanks for the answer and info. 

I have read in other post the UI tool is based on PEAK and you don't release in NXP website.

I created a ticket for the tool.

Kindly i would like to ask you to attach the tool into my case. ( case : 00284036 )

I am grateful!

Best regards,

Nader

0 Kudos

Poley
Contributor V

Hi @naderkhamess 

Do you mind sharing how you got the CAN bootloader to work?

I have a PCAN device and OpenBus but am struggling!

Much appreciated, thanks

0 Kudos

Poley
Contributor V

Hi @naderkhamess 

Did you get a CAN bootloader for S32K148 working in the end?

Thanks