cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming On-Board S32K118

talha_uyar
Contributor III

Hi,

We are planning on building a board utilizing S32K118, and we are investigating methods for programming the S32K118s on the board via SWD. I have two questions about this.

1- We have used LPC Link2 for flash programming other NXP devices before. Can we use LPC Link2 to program S32K118 via SWD? If so, where can I find a guide for this?

2- If we cannot use LPC Link2, are there any recommended tools (from NXP or third party) that we can use to program S32K118 devices on board?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Muhammet Uyar,

When LPC-Link2 is program_JLINK firmware, it was able to program S32K118EVB. But the firmware is for use with evaluation boards only. It is not for use with custom hardware.

Terms of Use.png

Emulators, Probes, and Programmers

Emulators, Probes, and Programmers.png

Best Regards,

Robin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

talha_uyar
Contributor III

Ok, are there any other scripts for LPC-Link2 that I can use for programming S32K118? I am guessing SEGGER would not be useful for our case. An example or a guide would also be very useful.

Are there any recommended tools (from NXP or third party) other than LPC-Link2 that we can use to program S32K118 devices on our custom board via SWD, for production purposes?

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Muhammet Uyar,

It's able to program LPC-Link2 with CMSIS-DAP firmware. But the S32DS does not support it.

You can find tools at Emulators, Probes, and Programmers.
P&E Multilink Universal
P&E Multilink Universal FX

See also:

IAR i-jet
Segger J-Link
Lauterbach
iSYSTEM iC5700

Best Regards,

Robin

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

talha_uyar
Contributor III

Ok, I have loaded the CMSIS-DAP firmware to the LPC-Link2, but I cannot figure out how to load the .elf file. As you have mentioned S32DS does not support this, and Keil uVision is a lot of hassle since it does not import Eclipse projects easily, as far as I can see. I tried using pyOCD, but I am afraid of causing some irreversible damage.

Is there an easy way to flash the .elf file to the S32K118 using LPC Link2? Is there an IDE, or an application that I can use which supports flashing the S32K118 via CMSIS-DAP? Bare in mind that I will not use the debugging functionality, I just want to flash the .elf file, generated through S32DS.

Sorry if this is a trivial question but I am fairly new to this stuff and just cannot find a way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have loaded the CMSIS DAP firmware on to the LPC-Link2, and I have installed the CMSIS Pack for S32K118 via pyOCD. Then I connected the Target SWD/JTAG Port of the LPC Link2 to the J14 Port of the S32K118. Here is my issue: when I erase the chip, via pyOCD and LPC-Link2, the chip is indeed erased. However, as soon as the chip is erased the Red LED next to the OpenSDA USB turns on. After that I am unable to load the .elf file, and when I try to do so I get the "Core not found" error from pyOCD. The Red LED only turns off when I flash the .elf file through S32DS. What does that Red LED suggest? Is there a way to fix this somehow?

On another note, can I use my S32K118 EVB to flash the .elf file to the S32K118 on my custom board, via SWD? Since the EVB has OpenSDA debugger on board and the JTAG pins of the OpenSDA are available, using the EVB to program my custom board would solve all the issues. How can I configure the on-board OpenSDA so that I can flash my custom board via SWD.

Edit 2: After going through pyOCD forums I think I have solved the issue. So I am marking my question as "Assumed Answered." Feel free to contact if you are having the same issues.

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Is there an easy way to flash the .elf file to the S32K118 using LPC Link2? 

I need more time to find it.

Erase the chip will make the reset pin toggle(which is connect to the Red LED). Here you can find the way fix it: "error 7" using MSD flash programmer for s32k118evb

On another note, can I use my S32K118 EVB to flash the .elf file to the S32K118 on my custom board, via SWD?

Yes and No. term of use like JLink firmware. Only used for development and/or evaluation purposes. It may not be used for production purposes.

0 Kudos