cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a help to know bootloader process of S32K144

sayali_ayarkar
Contributor I

Hello!

I am working on a project in which we need to do OTA on S32K144.

I have read few documents related to bootloader and S32K1XX.

Following are the points I understood so far:

1. There are few options by which micro-controller gets .bin file:

- UART

- CAN FD

2. Bootloader searches for a key,if it is valid then firmware location is updated and finally it updates the new firmware.

3. Bootloader example in SDK has rchw.c, appl.c.
rchw.c has appkey and rchw content as given in document.

According to description given we are supposed to download RAppID BL Tool application. Using that application we are supposed to make necessary changes in .rbl file. Application used .rbl file to boot the micro-controller.

I have few questions which are as follows:

1. Do we have to flash bootloader externally or it is already stored in micro-controller memory and we just have to change RCHW to trigger that bootloader?

2. How does bootloader process work?

3. RApplD BL Tool is only option to boot microcontroller? 

I have attached few documents which I referred. 

Please let me know if I missed out something here and help me to know boot loader process so that I can successfully do OTA on s32k144.

Thanks in advance. 

#S32k144 #bootloader #OTA #rchw

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sayali Ayarkar

First of all, I would like to mention that you are referring to two bootloaders projects, the one in the SDK and the one of the AN12218. So, the best option is checking the project that you would like to use.

Answering your questions:

1. Do we have to flash bootloader externally or it is already stored in micro-controller memory and we just have to change RCHW to trigger that bootloader?

None of the bootloaders examples are stored in the MCU, you have to load them with an external programmer or with the OpenSDA interface.

2. How does bootloader process work?

The two bootloader examples work in similar to the difference in the communication between the MCU and the host. The bootloader of the Application note is described in the AN12218 document.

3. RApplD BL Tool is the only option to boot microcontroller? 

In the case of the SDK bootloader example, yes, you have to use this tool, the AN12218 include a Java application that communicates with the MCU through UART.

For your reference I recommend the following links:

SDK bootloader Bootloader_s32K how it works for S32K144 

AN12218: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12218.pdf 

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note-software/AN12218SW.zip 

Hope this helps

Best regards

0 Kudos