cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the S32K144 be used for Profinet?

Poley
Contributor V

Hello,

I noticed that the S32K14 has a built in Ethernet controller. Firstly is it only the 148 that has Ethernet built in? Can this be configured into a Profinet, Ethernet/IP and modbus protocol application?

I am looking at a new project and want to see whether the current chips we have (S32K144) are suitable for this application or I need a new uC

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Poley 

In the S32K1 family, the only MCU with Ethernet is the S32K148.

Related to Profinet, check the following link.

B.R.

VaneB

0 Kudos

Poley
Contributor V

Hi @VaneB 

tgabk you got the response. Annoyingly the supply shortage means we have not been able to purchase 148 variation for 18 months. I guess I will need to implement a different Ethernet chip to go alongside the NXP uC for me to get profinet running. 

Do you have any suggestions on Ethernet’s chips that could work for thIs?

Also, I am confused about the link you sent. Seems to just be a website that says you can enquires but no way to enquire about it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Poley 

The link shared above lists the NXP devices that support the PROFINET Stack.

VaneB_0-1678125893212.png

0 Kudos

Poley
Contributor V

Hi @VaneB 

That makes sense! So because it says S32K1 devices does that mean it covers the S32K144 as well? As I thought only the S32K148 was the only one with Ethernet so would expect it to only say that device?

is there any information on how the stack can be implemented using this series of uC’s?

thank you for the help!

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Poley 

If you consult the datasheet of the S32K1 family, you will find some tables that specify which elements are implemented in each variant. In this, it is mentioned that Ethernet is only implemented in the S32K148.

Regarding if there is any information on how the stack can be implemented using this uC series, unfortunately, as it is a 3rd party software, I do not have information about it.

0 Kudos