if GMAC and PFE MAC1 can work simultaneously or not?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

if GMAC and PFE MAC1 can work simultaneously or not?

Jump to solution
Michael979
Contributor II

Hello,

Now we are using S32G274 in our design, I wonder if GMAC and PFE MAC1 can work simultaneously .

Accrding to the document about S32G Ethernet architecture,

• S32G2 supports 4x Ehernet MACs 
    • 3 x integrated with Packet Forwarding Engine (PFE)
    • 1 x as standalone Ethernet Controller (GMAC)

However, in IOMUX sheet which is attached in reference manual, GMAC and PFE MAC1 share some pins, e.g TXD_O[0..3]  share PE04..07 and RXD_I[0..3] share PE10..13. 

My hardware colleague told me that GMAC and PFE MAC1 are unabel to be used simultaneously because the above pins are shared between two MACs.

Besides, S32G2 525FC-BGA was mentioned in the document, it described that "all 4 MACs can be used in parallel". Does it mean GMAC and PFE MAC1 can be used simultaneously on the special S32G2 chip?

Thanks & Best Regards

Michael

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jpetrous
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It works. The only limitation is not having GAMC & PFE_EMAC_1 on RGMII, one of that must use SGMII.

/Jan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jpetrous
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi guys,

using GMAC together with PFE_EMAC_1 is, of course, possible. The only impossible combination is using RGMII on both MACs.

Upcomming BSP33 comes with EVB/RDB port mapping enhancement exactly to solve this issue.

In few words, PFE_EMAC_1 will be, by default, set for SGMII mode, what allows to use all MACs in time.

/Jan

0 Kudos
xyh7
Contributor III

Based on my team's design doc, PFE MAC1 will be disabled if GMAC is enabled. They cannot work together the same time.

0 Kudos
Michael979
Contributor II

Thanks, it is also a way that we are using S32G274.

0 Kudos
Michael979
Contributor II

Hello,

Anyone used GMAC and PFE MAC1 to transmit or receive Ethernet frames simultaneously? Or, is it true that S32G274 only suports maximum 3 MACs in one application due to the TXD and RXD overlap  between GMAC and PFE MAC1?

Thanks & Best Reagrds

Michael

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
jpetrous
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It works. The only limitation is not having GAMC & PFE_EMAC_1 on RGMII, one of that must use SGMII.

/Jan

0 Kudos
Lake_Hu
Contributor I

Agree

GMAC/SGMII and PFE1 with RGMII works OK at the same time on my side.

0 Kudos