cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32 Design Studio v2018.R1 missing S32K116 middleware

Jump to solution
lleviton
Contributor III

I am using S32 Design Studio v2018.R1 to build S32K116 applications on an old Windows 10 computer. I am trying to install S32 Design Studio v2018.R1 on a new Dell Windows 10 laptop, but it fails to install the drivers for S32K116.

I initially had trouble installing S32DS_ARM_Win32_v2018.R1_b180326.exe using "Run as Admin". NXP support said I must be an admin due the installer failing to make a request to "Run as Admin" when it installs files to the registry. Running as an admin fixed this problem.

But after installing S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1_UP11.zip, S32SDK_S32K1xx_RM_3.0.0 was missing.
So I installed S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1_UP10.zip. This installed S32SDK_S32K1xx_RM_3.0.0, but the middleware folder under S32SDK_S32K1xx_RM_3.0.0 was missing. 
I also installed S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1_UP7.zip, but this didn't help and probably wasn't necessary.

Here are snips of the error messages:

lleviton_0-1659387195008.png

lleviton_1-1659387244833.png

lleviton_2-1659387260772.png

lleviton_3-1659387275902.png

Logs attached.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
lleviton
Contributor III

During off-line updates, I have been leaving "Add Repository Name" blank.
Could that be the problem?

What does "Local" do (see image below).

Also, on my old PC, I installed all of the updates in sequential order, starting from Update 2.
On my new laptop, I installed Update 11 first.
It seems there are things missing in Update 11.
Should I install Update 10 first?
Or does the order of installing updates not matter?

lleviton_0-1659957773144.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
lleviton
Contributor III

It was suggested I try on-line updates instead of off-line.
This did not go well.
I uninstalled S32 Design Studio for ARM 2018.R1 and reinstalled it without problems (as a full admin).
Went to Help, Install New Software, chose the on-line site, downloaded the updates, checked install everything including Pemicro and Segger drivers, 39 items selected, got a warning about items already installed, so an update will be performed instead.
7 licenses to be installed. So far, so good.

Then I got "Installing Software" has encountered a problem.
An error occurred while collecting items to be installed.
The errors do not show up in the log file, but basically
relate to Error unzipping jar files, Invalid entry size (expected 0 but got 72618 bytes).
I suspect the download got corrupted while downloading due to corporate network problems.
I'll try this at home where things are more stable.

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi lleviton,

S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1_UP10 is S32 Design Studio for ARM v2018.R1 Update 10 with S32 SDK S32K1xx SR 3.0.1

Would you please install S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1_UP9? I am able to find the middleware/lin/coreapi folder after install it.

By the way, you can compare the Help->Installation Details listed in old PC and new laptop.

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

Hi Robin,

Comparing Help -> Installation Details, the new PC is missing S32 Design Studio for ARM IDE.

I tried installing Update 9, 10, and 11 and they all do the same thing.

Software being installed: S32 Design Studio for ARM IDE 2.0.0.201808141525

Missing requirement: S32 Design Studio for ARM IDE 2.0.0.201808141525

(com.nxp.s32ds.arm.ide.feature.feature.group 201808141525) requires 'com.nxp.cross.arm.kea.feature.feature.group 0.0.0' but it could not be found.

What does this error message mean?

My old PC has S32 Design Studio KEAx AMMCLIB SDK v.1.1.8 (and 11 and 18).

My new laptop has S32 Design Studio KEAx AMMCLIB SDK v.1.1.8 (and 11, 14, 15, and 18).

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

S32 Design Studio for ARM IDE 2.0.0.201808141525 can be found in S32 Design Studio for ARM 2018.R1 - Update 7 available

S32 Design Studio for ARM 2018.R1 - Update 7 available.png

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

Hi Robin,

I tried Update 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11.

What's the meaning of:

requires 'com.nxp.cross.arm.kea.feature.feature.group 0.0.0' but it could not be found.

0 Kudos
Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It's strange why your S32K116 project needs 'com.nxp.cross.arm.kea.feature.feature.group 0.0.0'. When did this error message pop up?
Have you tried to search "kea" in installation Details? Check if there is a correlation in the Id column

Installation Details search Id Name.png

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

The error occurs when installing updates.

Comparing old PC logs and new laptop logs, they both have 4 SUCCESSFUL lines of:

Install File: C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1\eclipse\features\com.nxp.s32ds.cross.arm.kea.feature_1.0.0.201801242127\feature.properties

Install File: C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1\eclipse\features\com.nxp.s32ds.cross.arm.kea.feature_1.0.0.201801242127\feature.xml

Install File: C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1\eclipse\features\com.nxp.s32ds.cross.arm.kea.feature_1.0.0.201801242127\license.html

Install File: C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1\eclipse\features\com.nxp.s32ds.cross.arm.kea.feature_1.0.0.201801242127\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF

Why does the error say it can't find

com.nxp.cross.arm.kea.feature_0.0.0

and not

com.nxp.s32ds.cross.arm.kea.feature_0.0.0  ???????

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

During off-line updates, I have been leaving "Add Repository Name" blank.
Could that be the problem?

What does "Local" do (see image below).

Also, on my old PC, I installed all of the updates in sequential order, starting from Update 2.
On my new laptop, I installed Update 11 first.
It seems there are things missing in Update 11.
Should I install Update 10 first?
Or does the order of installing updates not matter?

lleviton_0-1659957773144.png

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

Problem resolved.
S32 Design Studio for ARM 2018.R1 - Update 11 does not install the S32K116 SDK.
Update 9 must be installed first.
Update 10 must be installed second.
Update 11 must be done last.
Include (check mark) all items except Pemicro and Segger drivers because they will stop installation due to a defect in their jar files.

Updating in the reverse order does not work and is very time consuming because it must check whether it is overwriting a newer release.

The Pemicro drivers that are installed work pretty good.
The reason why I didn't use S32 Design Studio for ARM 2.2 is that the Pemicro drivers in ARM 2.2 do not disable the S32K116 watchdog during debugging, making debugging impossible.

I got error sbc_uja116x missing when building my applications.
I resolved this by creating an empty folder called \sbc_uja116x\include\ under c:\nxp\s32ds_arm_v2018.r1\s32ds\s32sdk_s32k1xxRTM_3.0.0\middleware\sbc\ .
The updates do not install sbc_uja116x, but my application won't build if the include path is missing, even though I don't use the sbc_uja116x component.
Maybe I tried sbc_uja116x at one time, then removed it, but the path remained in my Processor Expert.pe file?

Miscellaneous stuff.
On-line update and off-line update 11 appear to be identical.
I did not need to fill in the "name" field (S32DS Update 11) when doing off-line updates.
I did not need to be an administrator to install updates.
I did need to be an administrator to install the design studio application (exe).
Using "Run as Admin" did not work.
I used on-line license activation without problem. 

juan_see
Contributor III

Hi Larry, 

My name is Juan See and I am an engineer at PEmicro. I was wondering if I can help you with migrating to S32 DS ARM 2.2. I would be happy to have a video chat with you so that we can resolve the issue that is preventing you from using S32 DS ARM 2.2. 

Regards,

Juan See

PEmicro

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

Hi Juan from P&E Micro.
My comment about ARM 2.2 not working with Pemicro was based on my observation from two years ago.
I just fired up ARM 2.2, activated a new license,  imported a project and the P&E Micro debugger is working.

But I am having trouble converting Processor Expert from ARM 2018.R1 to ARM 2.2

I think it's pulling in the SDK from ARM 2018.R1 and not ARM 2.2

When I build a new S32K Application Project from scratch, I don't have this problem.

lleviton_2-1660173113209.png

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Larry,

First of all, when you launch the S32 Design Studio for Arm v2.2, make sure to use a new workspace. There are often elements of Eclipse which have been upgraded in the newer tool and the workspaces are specific to the Eclipse version. You can copy over your project, it is independent of Eclipse version.

When you bring a project from an older tool to the new tool, the SDK which was attached to it remains. If you wish to migrate the project to a new SDK, for the versions we are discussing here, I think it should be possible. The main thing is the ProcessorExpert settings. If you right click on the project name in the Project Explorer window and select 'Export', then select the 'Export Component Settings' from within the S32 Design Studio for Arm v2018.R1, you should be able to import these into the project in S32 Design Studio for Arm v2.2.

After you import the v2018.R1 project into v2.2, you probably will need to detach the old SDK and attach the new one. Then you can import the settings and re-generate the code. There may be some manual adjustments needed if function call name changed, etc. I'm sorry, but the SDK team isn't as great about backward compatibility as we might like.

Hope that helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

I'd rather not put any more time into this, but you make a good point.

This product is going to be around for a long time, so maybe migrating to a newer version of Design Studio will save my company a lot of grief later on.

Would it be better to migrate to S32 v3.4 instead of ARM v2.2?
Can Processor Expert v3.4 import from v2018r1?
If not, using Processor Expert is still a time saver, even without importing.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday using v2.2, only I imported ProcessorExpert.pe instead of exporting it.

I had to manually add on include path to get v2.2 to build without errors.
But the P&E debugging didn't work at all because I didn't install the latest P&E drivers.
I stopped at this point because I am not sure I want to use v2.2.

...Larry

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Larry,

I understand your apprehension to spend more time on this. I suppose you'll have to decide the cost/benefit on whether to proceed. But here are some points to consider:

• S32 Design Studio for S32 Platform is on v3.5, as of July 29th, 2022. This is the tool where active development is occurring. Bug fixes and new features will appear here. Even for devices like the S32K116, which are already in production, there will be improvements over time.
    • Major drawback for you is the effort to migrate from S32 SDK and ProcessorExpert-based configuration tools to the Real-Time Drivers (RTD) and S32 Configuration Tools (unlike S32 SDK, this includes both AUTOSAR and non-AUTOSAR drivers)
  • S32 Design Studio for Arm v2.2 is the last release of the S32 Design Studio for Arm generation. There is no planned future development or bug fixes here. However it is newer than the v2018.R1 you currently are using, which means it includes some bug fixes and feature improvements.
    • Major drawbacks are that it will not be as well supported going forward and you still have some effort involved in migrating to the newer S32 SDK for S32K116 version.

For assistance in migrating between SDKs or from SDK to RTD, I can provide some assistance, but I suggest you contact @namnguyenviet as he is focused on SDK support, whereas I am more focused on S32 Design Studio support.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
lleviton
Contributor III

Hi Mike,

Very helpful. Sounds like migrating to Design Studio for ARM v2.2 is worth the small effort.
For new designs, I'll switch to using AUTOSAR with Design Studio for S32 v3.x.

...Larry

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Larry,

Thank you for all of this detail. I am sure other users will find this helpful. I will share this information on the P&E Micro drivers issue on S32K116 with my contacts at P&E, on the outside chance there is a fix for it. If so, the details will be added to this thread.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos