Where to define External Tools project dependent variables

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to define External Tools project dependent variables

roy_vanlierop
Contributor III

I'm using the external tools option of the S32 Design Studio to call Segger's Ozone debugger. A lot of variables are available out of the box. The current debug configuration is not one of those. 

I want to reference the:

• Project Device
  • Project Debug configuration
    roy_vanlierop_1-1632751322189.png

This is impossible with the available variables and I wish to put them into custom project-variables. There are however at least 8 places in the whole IDE where I can substitute strings. Which one do I need?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

the current configuration is in ${ConfigName} variable. But I'm afraid, that MCU type is not available in any variable. Anyway - you can add your own variable in project Properties: 

jiri_kral_0-1632850694614.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

roy_vanlierop
Contributor III

Hello,

The ConfigName variable doesn't seem to exist in the external tools configuration pane.

roy_vanlierop_0-1633016278186.png

roy_vanlierop_1-1633016294358.png

The other variables are easy to reference as intended. 

0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

you can check the variable name in project properties. On my machine I have also config_name: 

jiri_kral_0-1633337914311.png

Jiri

0 Kudos

roy_vanlierop
Contributor III

Hello Jiri,

My project properties window looks exactly the same as yours. Having the variable visible in this pane does however not result in it being usable in the external tools config. 

You can try it yourself, use those two highlighted variables in the external tools. If you get those to work I will nuke the IDE and re-install it from scratch. It's easy to test since the "Show Command Line" button has been implemented. 

With regards,

Roy

0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Roy, 

I figured out that only some subset of variables are visible for External Tools. You can choose available variables from list. The config name is under ${config_name}:

jiri_kral_0-1633429708032.png

0 Kudos

roy_vanlierop
Contributor III

Hello Jiri,

Did you actually try using the variable after that? If I try to use the config_name variable it doesn't seem to parse the variable correctly. See the below screenshots. 

My External Tools view with variablesMy External Tools view with variablesShow command line with config_nameShow command line with config_name

Without config_nameWithout config_name

Not all variables in the external tools variable list seem to be functional. 

0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Roy, 

well, give me a chance test it on my side. Actually - I just assume that if the variable exists - it must be usable across system. I'll let you know tomorrow. Anyway - thanks for exploring such stuff! 

Jiri

0 Kudos