Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K148: .elf file size greater than Flash RAM size

Jump to solution
saad_saeed
Contributor III

Hello,

I working on s32K148. When I build my project (e.g.lwip_s32k148) on s32DesignStudio, the .elf file which is created is greater than 1.5 MB which is bigger than the size of the flash memory. My question is that whether whole .elf file is saved in the flash memory or whether some specific section of this file are saved into the flash memory. And Iam just curious why the size is so large when I build the project lwip_s32k148?

Thanks,

Saad.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The size of the .elf file has nothing to do with the code size, as the ELF file includes lots of other information, for example the debug information. That information does *not* get loaded on your target (this is one of many differences between host and embedded development).

Articles which handle that subject:

Listing Code and Data Size for each Source File with GNU and Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

Printing Code Size Information in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

text, data and bss: Code and Data Size Explained | MCU on Eclipse 

Converting a Raw Binary File into an ELF/Dwarf File for Loading and Debugging | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The size of the .elf file has nothing to do with the code size, as the ELF file includes lots of other information, for example the debug information. That information does *not* get loaded on your target (this is one of many differences between host and embedded development).

Articles which handle that subject:

Listing Code and Data Size for each Source File with GNU and Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

Printing Code Size Information in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

text, data and bss: Code and Data Size Explained | MCU on Eclipse 

Converting a Raw Binary File into an ELF/Dwarf File for Loading and Debugging | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos