cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS for S32K116 - Compiler Options

Jump to solution
brucebowling
Contributor I

I noticed when I was creating a new S32DS Application for the S32K116 processor that on the create project first page that there are two compiler options:

- ARM Bare-Metal 32-bit Target Binary Toolchain (comment indicates "GCC toolchain v.6.3 is selected")

- Standard S32DS toolchain for ARM (comment indicates "GCC toolchain v.4.9 is selected")

Can someone tell me the difference between these two options? It appears that one GCC version is newer, but what is recommended for use? If I use the Bare Metal version does this mean that there is better results with the compiler, libraries, etc? Or does it not really matter for most applications?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello brucebowling‌,

For complete details, we recommend that you review the release notes for GCC 6.3. C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1\Cross_Tools\gcc-6.3-arm32-eabi\releasenotes.pdf

Briefly, from the releasenotes.pdf:

Current release is based on:
• gcc 6.3.1

• binutils 2.29

• newlib 2.5.0
• gdb 7.12.1
The GCC sources are coming from Linaro, they had backported ARMv8-M and Cortex-M33 support for
their own gcc-6.3 branch. Additionally this release includes backported ARMv8-R and Cortex-R52
support from gcc trunk (future gcc-8.0 branch).

Hope it helps,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello brucebowling‌,

For complete details, we recommend that you review the release notes for GCC 6.3. C:\NXP\S32DS_ARM_v2018.R1\Cross_Tools\gcc-6.3-arm32-eabi\releasenotes.pdf

Briefly, from the releasenotes.pdf:

Current release is based on:
• gcc 6.3.1

• binutils 2.29

• newlib 2.5.0
• gdb 7.12.1
The GCC sources are coming from Linaro, they had backported ARMv8-M and Cortex-M33 support for
their own gcc-6.3 branch. Additionally this release includes backported ARMv8-R and Cortex-R52
support from gcc trunk (future gcc-8.0 branch).

Hope it helps,

Mike

0 Kudos
brucebowling
Contributor I

Thanks Mike fir the feedback.... I will take a look at the release notes. It appears that GCC-6.3 is the focus and should be used...

0 Kudos