cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS EWL and newlib standard clarification

dan_teodorescu
Contributor III

Hello,

I am working with S32DS for Power Architecture v1.2 for a future medical product. We are trying to decide between selecting EWL or newlib standard C libraries, both of which are bundled with S32DS. According to the bundled documentation, the following versions are installed:

* The Red Hat newlib C Library - libc 2.2.0 - December 2014

* EWL C Reference Manual - Document Number: CWEWLCREF Rev 10.x, 02/2014

* EWL C++ Library Reference - Document Number: CWEWLCPPREF Rev 10.x, 02/2014

Can you please comment on the following questions?

1. Can you comment on the level of testing performed on EWL and newlib for  suitability of their use in medical applications?

2. What is the notification process when NXP releases patches for newlib/stdlibc++?

3. Will both EWL and newlib be maintained going forward or is either being deprecated?

4.a. To which ISO C++ standard does EWL conform to? EWL C++ Library Reference Rev 10.x is very vague on this topic. (More specifically does EWL support modern C++?)

4.b. To which ISO C standard does newlib conform to? I didn't see any reference to anything newer than ISO9899 "C99".

4.c. To which ISO C++ standard does newlib/stdlibc++ conform to?

Thank you,

Dan

Labels (1)
4 Replies

j_cole
Contributor II

We are also in the process of evaluating the two libraries and have similar concerns.  Have you found answers to some/all of the questions you are asking?

0 Kudos

dan_teodorescu
Contributor III

Hi Jonathan,

I haven't received formal confirmation on this topic. I suspect that EWL was designed per C99 / C++03 standards, and is probably too costly to upgrade to the latest standards. For many projects, the older standards are perfectly acceptable. newlib/stdlibc++ are attractive because they support the newer standards, but NXP will probably provide only limited support as these are community-based projects.

Dan

j_cole
Contributor II

Not sure what compiler you are using, but something else to consider is that the GCC compiler is almost completely, but not fully, ISO C99 or ISO C11 compliant.

See C11Status - GCC Wiki 

Jonathan

j_cole
Contributor II

Dan -

Thank you for the response.  We will dig into it some more and will let you know if I find anything useful.

Jonathan

0 Kudos