Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS 3.4 - Use S32K142_SDK 4.0.2 with GCC 9.2

Jump to solution
domdom
Contributor II

Hi all,

i am using S32DS 3.4 for a S32K142 to develop a general purpose project, no AUTOSAR.

I am wondering, why i cannot select the S32K142_SDK 4.0.2, when selecting GCC 9.2 in the project creation wizzard. This SDK can be used only in combination with GCC 6.3. When selecting GCC 9.2, i can only select PlatformSDK_S32K1_xxx which seem to target AUTOSAR applications first of all.

For me the SDK functionality (PAL and Drivers) would be sufficient without the overload of the AUTOSAR components but when starting a new development project, i would like to start on a current compiler version.

Did i miss something here? Is support for S32K142_SDK discontinued and only AUTOSAR target SDKs are further developed?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Dom

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dom,

I think you will be pleased to know there is a solution to your problem. The SDKs have been replaced by the RTD (Real-Time Drivers). There is a release notes document provided with the RTD package on the download page. If you read the section '2.1 Release Details', there is a clear statement regarding your concern. Here is an excerpt:

"This is the S32K1 Real-Time Drivers release Version 1.0.1, supporting AUTOSAR 4.4
and non-AUTOSAR, with functionality and testing on S32K1 family of processor."

I changed the important text to bold. If you would download and install the S32K1 RTD package from within the S32DS Extensions and Updates menu (Help -> S32DS Extensions and Updates), then you should be able to select the SDK and use it for non-AUTOSAR applications.

Best Regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

6 Replies
domdom
Contributor II

Hi Mike,

okay thanks for clarifying. I got a short overview of the features and differences between SDK and RTD, this document was very helpful:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13435.pdf

After a short orientation, my first assesment is that the main focus of RTD is AUTOSAR. For a general purpose development project, we are searching for a simple peripheral driver library and initialization code generator for baremetal applications. When using RTD, i fear that we are confronted with the complexity and overhead of AUTOSAR software architecture. Best approach, when using RTD, seems to use just the IP driver layer and to leave the MCAL layer.

Can you confirm our assumptions? How about licensing of  RTD for S32K142 devices? Is it free, when just using the IP layer?

Thanks again for your help and best regards,

Dom

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Dom,

As these are very specific SDK/RTD usage questions, I refer you to @namnguyenviet for expert support on this.

From my knowledge, your assumptions are correct.

As to the licensing, it is free. See the details on the product page for the RTD: https://www.nxp.com/design/automotive-software-and-tools/real-time-drivers-rtd:AUTOMOTIVE-RTD

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
domdom
Contributor II

Hi,

thank you Mike for your answer.

@namnguyenviet would you please give your additional estimation on my last post?

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me!

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Dom

0 Kudos
namnguyenviet
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @domdom.

Yes, it's correct that the RTD is free for both AUTOSAR and non-AUTOSAR layer. Mike has already shown you the link to the software detail, which I captured here:

namnguyenviet_0-1654052146472.png

Best Regards,

Nam

0 Kudos
domdom
Contributor II

Thanks to all for the help!

Best regards,

Dom

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Dom,

I think you will be pleased to know there is a solution to your problem. The SDKs have been replaced by the RTD (Real-Time Drivers). There is a release notes document provided with the RTD package on the download page. If you read the section '2.1 Release Details', there is a clear statement regarding your concern. Here is an excerpt:

"This is the S32K1 Real-Time Drivers release Version 1.0.1, supporting AUTOSAR 4.4
and non-AUTOSAR, with functionality and testing on S32K1 family of processor."

I changed the important text to bold. If you would download and install the S32K1 RTD package from within the S32DS Extensions and Updates menu (Help -> S32DS Extensions and Updates), then you should be able to select the SDK and use it for non-AUTOSAR applications.

Best Regards,

Mike