S32DS 3.2 fails to install on Ubuntu 18.04.4 with a weird Java complaint?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32DS 3.2 fails to install on Ubuntu 18.04.4 with a weird Java complaint?

hwrobel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

nxa15299@helplinetest:~/Downloads$ ./S32DS.3.2_linux.x86_64.bin

Preparing to install
Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
No Java virtual machine could be found from your PATH
environment variable.  You must install a VM prior to
running this program.

S32DS complains that I do not have a VM, even though I do:

nxa15299@helplinetest:~/Downloads$ which java
/usr/bin/java
nxa15299@helplinetest:~/Downloads$ java --version
openjdk 11.0.6 2020-01-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.6+10-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu118.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.6+10-post-Ubuntu-1ubuntu118.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

Looking at the created "custom" file, I do not see helpful information:

en_needMoreSpace=WARNING! The amount of $INSTBASE disk space required to perform this installation is greater than what is available.  Please free up at least $free_up kilobytes in $INSTBASE and attempt this installation again.
en_vmDownloadError=Error in downloading the VM. Installer exiting...
en_launch=Launching installer...
en_jreExtractFailed=The included VM could not be extracted.
en_invalidUnzip=Invalid unzip command found
en_checksumPassed=MD5 checksum verification for downloaded JVM passed
en_corruptedFiles=The size of the extracted files to be installed are corrupted.
en_tmpCleanup=WARNING! This installation has been interrupted. The installation process will now terminate and the temporary files it is using will be deleted from $ZIPLOC.
en_downloadLoc2=Download location=$jreDownloadFileName_1
en_downloadLoc1=Download location=$jreDownloadFileName
en_downloadedVM2=Downloaded VM Pack using URL=$jvmSpecBuildWithoutVmDirectDownloadUrl
en_downloadedVM1=Downloaded VM Pack using URL=$jvmSpecBuildWithoutVMNotFoundDownloadUrl
en_installInvalidUnzip=InstallAnywhere could not find a supported unzip program on the system, this should not have any impact on the installation process.
en_noEnoughSpace=WARNING: $INSTBASE does not have enough disk space! Attempting to use $HOME for install base and tmp dir.
en_extractJRE=Extracting the JRE from the installer archive...
en_jreUnzipFailed=The included VM could not be uncompressed (GZIP/UNCOMPRESS).
en_unpackJRE=Unpacking the JRE...
en_spaceUndetermined=WARNING! The amount of $INSTBASE disk space required and/or available could not be determined.  The installation will attempted anyway.
en_jreUntarFailed=The included VM could not be unarchived (TAR).
en_default=default
en_reDownload=Please try to download the installer again and make sure that you download using 'binary' mode.  Please do not attempt to install this currently downloaded copy.
en_configure=Configuring the installer for this system's environment...
en_prepareInstall=Preparing to install
en_checksumFailed=Error!! MD5 checksum verification for downloaded JVM failed. Installer exiting...
en_extractRes=Extracting the installation resources from the installer archive...
en_defaultCase=default case
en_noPermission=The temporary install directory: $INSTBASE does not exist or you do not have permission to write to it.
en_iatempdirNotPresent=You have used the IATEMPDIR to set the install base and tmp dir for this installation.  However, the directory $INSTBASE does not exist or is not a directory.  Please choose a valid directory.

The unexpanded variable names don't mean anything, I have plenty of free space, and I have the current unzip:

nxa15299@helplinetest:~/Downloads$ df -H /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda3       392G   14G  359G   4% /
nxa15299@helplinetest:~/Downloads$ df -H /home
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1       492G  296G  171G  64% /home

nxa15299@helplinetest:~/Downloads$ sudo apt install unzip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
unzip is already the newest version (6.0-21ubuntu1).

What is happening here, and could the error message maybe be more on target going forward?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

antiviruscompan
Contributor I

I think you have probably tried this but it just worked for me, run these commands on your terminal and then run the installer:

sudo -i
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64 #check this folder and be sure the path is correct
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/bin
export JAVA_HOME
export JRE_HOME
export PATH
./installer.bin

I hope it helps.

sateesh_kalidas
Contributor II

Same for me, I had to put these commands into .bashrc and after that all good. Thank you.

I could not find libbz2-1.0 so replaced it with bzip2:i386.

Thank you again for the hint.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Heinz, 

S32DS requires  OpenJDK-8-jre  and openjfx. 

Also don't forget install  install additional required libraries. More details for Linux paltform  you can find in Install guide (attached). 

Hope it helps. 

Jiri 

0 Kudos

hwrobel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Jiri, per log above I have the VM, and I have all dependencies per document installed.

0 Kudos

jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You have different Java version installed - OpenJDK-11. That's why is installer complaining. 

Jiri

0 Kudos

hwrobel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This is awkward

openjdk-8-jre *was* installed. I had to downgrade the Ubuntu by artificially removing all openjdk-11* components because apparently 11 was hiding 8. If the installer is that picky, then it should try to use the right version and not just the next best version. And it shouldn't state "no VM" when it should state "need this specific version and can't find it". And if it is installed anyway, there should be a way to tell it where to find it if it can't find it by itself. Having to downgrade an installation is not nice.

With that, I could install but can't run. After about 50% of the startup progress bar, the whole thing fails with an error message suggesting that OpenJFX can't be found:

nxa15299@helplinetest:~/NXP/S32DS.3.2$ ./s32ds.sh
Feb 17, 2020 4:04:04 PM com.nxp.swtools.common.ui.utils.swt.internal.SWTFactory loadFont
WARNING: Could not load font from '/home/nxa15299/NXP/S32DS.3.2/mcu_data/resources/fonts/RobotoCondensed/RobotoCondensed-Regular.ttf'.Native load failed. Check the path.
Feb 17, 2020 4:04:04 PM com.nxp.swtools.common.utils.runtime.SingletonProvider getSingletonInstance
SEVERE: getSingletonInstance for com.nxp.swtools.ivt.controller.IVTController
[...]

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Unable to locate JavaFX. Please make sure you have a JDK with JavaFX

nxa15299@helplinetest:~/NXP/S32DS.3.2$ sudo apt install openjfx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
openjfx is already the newest version (11.0.2+1-1~18.04.2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Weird that it looks for a font that it doesn't even install. The error indicates that the dependencies were not properly checked. On the SEVERE error, I manually hacked a downgrade of OpenJFX from 11 to 8, which is non-obvious BTW, and now things start. I hope that it also works.

The "Unable to load page", "Problem occurred while loading the URL http://localhost:8087/", "Could not connect: Connection refused" display on the "Getting Started" tab is not encouraging.

This is not a nice OOTB experience at all. Ubuntu 18 is not exactly an esoteric Linux distro, so things shouldn't fail in such cryptic ways. A script to auto install the required dependencies should also be there. I am not impressed.

Can we please add some robustness and graceful failure if the robustness alone can't fix things?