cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPC5748G reset LED and power cycle issue when debugging

sungjoonpark
Contributor I

Hello,

I am working on a project with PWA MPC574XG-MB and Multilink Universal debugger. My colleague can flash a binary and successfully start debugging but it is not working on my side. As far as we can tell, the settings are identical but when I flash the binary to the board and start debugging, the red LED on reset goes on (D1) and the debugging session says it is running but I cannot set a break point or anything (it is not properly running). When I start debugging in this status, this window pops up and I need power cycle the board.

164881_164881.pngreset.png

My colleague is running S32 on win7 and I am running S32 on win10. We have our own library path, include path and .ld file. I even tried with the same binary file that my colleague built but the result was the same. I could do simple LED toggle project on the board (and debug) so I don't think there is anything wrong with the hardware. We suspect there is something missing/wrong with the setting. Do you know what might be the problem when this happens? Please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thank you,

Sungjoon

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

zaharr_
Contributor II
Hi Yogender, Sungjoon,

I tried loading the project you provided on the latest version of S32 Power IDE b160922 and did not see any issues. I am able to properly load the project and not observe any reset escalation take place if the Run after reset button is un-checked. I am also able to step the code, even though I do not have access to the source, since I do not have an actual project.

The reset escalation happens after I resume the part, which means that the initialization part of the project is lacking some initialization detail.

True, you can introduce an additional script to initialize the part/disable watchdog via Advanced Options dialog setting, but the best thing to do would be to include this start up/initialization settings into an actual project.

Are you creating this project within S32 Power IDE or Lauterbach IDE? If its an S32 Power IDE project, you can take advantage of the startup code that is a part of the example projects that can be generated by the S32 Power IDE project wizard.

I am happy to do a remote session/team viewer meeting to learn more about your setup. Please let me know what times on Thursday/Friday work best for you.

Please clarify what build of S32 Power IDE you are using, what version of P&E plugin are you currently running and which IDE are you using to generate your project.
Best Regards,
Zahar
P&E
0 Kudos

zaharr_
Contributor II

Hi Sungjoon,

Just want to post my email follow up here, to keep our community in the loop on this issue:

If you are able to get past the reset escalation dialog, it sounds like this is a project related issue.

Can you share your project with us for a quick inspection.

Please go to Debug Configurations -> Startup dialog and uncheck Run on reset check box. This will stop your project at the entry point and allow you to step through the code until an error/watchdog is triggered.Inline image 1

If you are looking to implement and run a custom start up script at the beginning of debug, P&E plugin within S32 Power IDE also gives you access to this type of functionality.

Please create a .mac macro file where you can implement long writes with the following instruction:

meminit.l 0x40000000 0x40017FFF

Once your startup macro is done, please go to Debug Configurations -> Debugger Tab -> Advanced Options -> Check Enable initialization script and browse to the location of your init script.

Inline image 2

Please let me know what you find when you disable run on reset option. Are you able to translate the startup script from Lauterbach and run it within the S32 IDE as an initialization macro?

Best Regards,
Zahar

P&E

0 Kudos

sungjoonpark
Contributor I

Hello Zahar,

I am posting the reply here too.

I disabled run on reset option and here is what I got.

f1.PNG

it gets stuck here for a while first, then

f2.PNGf3.PNGf4.PNG

I get these error messages.

For your reference, project binary file (that is working for out India team but not for me) is attached. We do not have lauterbach here so I cannot test the other one. I am currently using Multilink Universal.

Please advise and let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,

Sungoon

0 Kudos

zaharr_
Contributor II

Hi Sungjoon,

The Calypso 6M device has a built in reset escalation mechanism which gets triggered if the device gets reset multiple times in a row. This might happen if on a power-up it is blank or programmed with an invalid/faulty project.

The pop-up dialog that you see, notifying user of a reset escalation is not a fatal error. Its a mechanism that we put in place to allow user to force the device into debug mode and continue with debug session after a reset escalation has occurred.

If you see a reset escalation warning dialog pop-up please do the following:

1. Power cycle your target by turning the power to Calypso 6M device off and on, while keeping your P&E hardware interface plugged in.

2. Click OK on the target reset escallation pop up dialog to proceed with your debug session.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue you are seeing.

Best Regards,
Zahar

P&E

For some Calypso 6M boards a reset delay fo 200 ms should be added in the debug configuration dialog.

0 Kudos

sungjoonpark
Contributor I

Hello Zahar,

As I mentioned on my first post, reset was just a symptom. I could just power cycle the board and proceed to the debug session. However, debug session is not working properly (and the reset light goes on). It is working on my colleague's machine but not on mine. I have also tried with the binary file from my colleague (which is working on the other machine), but the result was the same. Please let me know if you need more details.

Thank you,

Sungjoon

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sungjoon,

could you please explore the following thread?

https://community.nxp.com/thread/395670 

I think it would be good to measure reset line and look, if there logical 0 or 1. Also check jumper J9 on EVB motherboard. This jumper has to be fit.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sungjoon,

it is most probably the known issue with Delay after reset. If you use S32 Design Studio version 1.0, you have to setDelay after reset at least to 250ms in debug settings. Please look at the following figure.

pastedImage_1.png

Please let me know, if it resolve your problem. If not, please share more details.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

sungjoonpark
Contributor I

Hello Martin,

Thank you for replying. I am using S32 Design Studio version 1.1 and default for delay after rest was already 300ms. I have tried with 250ms as well but the result was the same. (I can download and debug other example projects)

delay.PNG

and this is the screenshot after the debugging session starts. (but it is not working).

debugging.PNG

debugging2.PNG

I am attaching two different cases (same project that is not working).

Please let me know if you want to know more details.

Thank you,

Sungjoon

0 Kudos