Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Developing in S32 Design studio for Vision for the SBC-S32V234

Jump to solution
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi,

We are evaluating the SBC-S32V234 development board in our company. I have flashed it with the pre-built BSP v18.0 that comes with the Vision SDK 1.2.0 release. I would like to develop some ISP and APEX programs using the S32 Design Studio for Vision v2.0.

I initially tried to build a demo application. The build succeeded but I found that the demo application binary built using the S32 Design studio v2.0 doesn't work as it is on the SBC-S32V234 which has been flashed with the BSP v18.0 + Vision SDK v1.2.0. I suspect it's possibly due to the fact that the S32 Design studio uses the Vision SDK v1.0.0 to build the binaries.

How am I supposed to develop ISP and APEX application in the S32 Design Studio v2.0 for the SBC-S32V234? Should I change the BSP? If yes, what version? I could not find any information about the latest version of BSP that is compatible with both the Vision v1.0.0 and the SBC-S32V234.

Any related information/pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,

Sivaraam

Labels (1)
1 Solution
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi,

It seems an update has been released for the S32DS for Vision[1]. The release notes states it supports the Vision SDK v2.0. So I hope it would support the SBC-S32V234 now.

[1]: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/swlicensing/sso/downloadSoftware.sp?catid=S32-DS-VISION_v2018.R1 

Thanks,

Sivaraam

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

S32DS for vision is supporting VSDK RTM_1.0.1 and Linux BSP image included in that  VSDK. 

Jiri

0 Kudos
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Regarding the BSP, a Linux BSP image is only included for the EVB board the VSDK present in the S32DS for Vision v2.0. I have a SBC-S32V234. Can I use the Linux image provided EVB on the SBC? I'm not sure. If no, what should I do to get the corresponding linux image for the SBC-S32V234?

0 Kudos
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi,

Excuse me for the ping. Unfortunately we're stuck with the evaluation as we're unable to find how to develop for the SBC-S32V234 using the S32 Design Studio for Vision 2.0. It would be nice if someone could please provide some information that might help us out of the situation. This might including answering the following question but is not limited to it. "Does the S32 Design Studio for Vision 2.0 really support the SBC-S32V234? If yes, how are supposed to develop programs for the SBC-S32V234 using the S32 Design Studio 2.0?".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sivaraam

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello kaartic.sn@e-consystems.com‌,

We updated the download of S32 Design Studio for Vision v2.0 on our website recently. If you download this current version of the installation file, it includes the version of the VSDK which is most compatible with S32 Design Studio for Vision v2.0. This version of the VSDK contains the BSP. So with one download, you have everything you need to develop applications for the SBC-S32V234.

One additional note, we will be releasing shortly (next month or so) an updated version of the S32 Design Studio for Vision which will add support for VSDK v1.2 and BSP 18, along with some significant updates and a major new feature.

Hope it helps,

Mike

kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hello mikedoidge‌,

Thanks a lot for the response thus giving us a little hope! We will be looking forward to your S32DS for Vision update eagerly!

Let me clarify about my current situation. Sorry for the long explanation ahead! I just wanted to be sure I clarified the situation clearly.

I currently have the S32 Design Studio for Vision (Linux variant) (Rev. 2.0 , 09/2017)[1] with build ID: 170911[2]. I suppose that's the latest version of S32 Design Studio for Vision. Let me know how to get the latest version, if mine isn't. Just FYI, I downloaded the S32 Design Studio for Vision (Linux variant) via the "Downloads" section of the NXP site for S32 Design Studio for Vision. I searched for the BSP in the Vision SDK present in the S32DS[3], which seems to be version v1.0.0. I found the archive (build_content.tar.gz) containing the BSP within the 'os/' directory of the Vision SDK folder. The following is directory tree for the extracted archive.

Directory tree of extracted build_content.tar.gz (files of v234_baremetal_build stripped)
build_content
├── v234_baremetal_build
│   ...
└── v234_linux_build
    ├── Image
    ├── README.txt
    ├── rootfs.tar
    ├── s32v234-evb28899.dtb
    ├── s32v234-evb.dtb
    ├── u-boot-28899.s32
    └── u-boot-29288.s32

2 directories, 86 files

As you could see, the .dtb, u-boot files present seem to be related to the EVB. I wasn't sure whether those were also compatible for the SBC-S32V234. So, I tried flashing the various combinations of the available .dtb and u-boot files and tried to boot the SBC-S32V234 using them. The following were the observations:

u-boot fileDTB fileObservation
u-boot-28899.s32s32v234-evb28899.dtbDoesn't boot. I got the error which read something like "Synchronous Abort" handler.
u-boot-28899.s32 s32v234-evb.dtbSame as above.
u-boot-29288.s32s32v234-evb28899.dtb

Boots successfully sometimes but the display doesn't seem to work. I get kernel panic at other times.

Note: I tried the fix suggested for "HDMI not working" problem. It didn't work.

u-boot-29288.s32s32v234-evb.dtbSame as above.

As you could infer from the observations, none of the combinations worked properly which made me doubt whether the SBC-S32V234 was really supported by the S32DS for Vision v2.0. This is my current situation.

I'm not sure what I'm missing. It would be nice if someone could guide me with identifying the BSP binaries (u-boot, Image, dtb, rootfs) for the SBC-S32V234 which would enable development with the S32DS for Vision v2.0.

Thanks,

Sivaraam

References:

[1]: obtained from the ReleaseNotes.pdf file. Location: S32DS/Release_Notes/Release_Notes.pdf

[2]: obtained by running S32 Design Studio v2.0. From Help -> About S32 Design Studio for Vision.

[3]: Location: S32DS/s32v234_sdk/

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

My apologies, I overlooked the fact that the v1.0 of the VSDK, which was included in the v2.0 release of S32DS for Vision, did not yet include support for the SBC-S32V234 EVB. Unfortunately, the first version of the VSDK which was released with BSP which supports SBC-S32V234 was not compatible with the S32DS for Vision v2.0 and our next S32DS for Vision release will not be delivered until end of Oct. If you can manage to wait 3 weeks, we will have an excellent solution for you.

I am checking with our HW support team if they have any suggestions on this issue. I will provide an update once I have some useful suggestions for you to try in the mean time.

Best Regards,

Mike

kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi mikedoidge‌,

Any news about the S32DS for Vision update that would support the SBC-S32V234?

Thanks,

Sivaraam

0 Kudos
mikedoidge
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The release has been postponed by approximately 1 month. We expect there should be no further delays.

Best Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi,

It seems an update has been released for the S32DS for Vision[1]. The release notes states it supports the Vision SDK v2.0. So I hope it would support the SBC-S32V234 now.

[1]: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/swlicensing/sso/downloadSoftware.sp?catid=S32-DS-VISION_v2018.R1 

Thanks,

Sivaraam

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, 

yes, this version supports SBC board. 

Jiri

kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi mikedoidge‌,

Thank you for your response! Would be waiting for the S32DS for Vision update.

Thanks,

Sivaraam

0 Kudos
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Hi mikedoidge‌,

Thanks a lot for understanding our problem and for the clarifying answer. :smileyhappy: We would have saved a lot of time if it was documented that the S32DS for Vision v2.0 doesn't support the SBC-S32V234. Anyways, thanks a lot for your support!

We'll wait for your reply about possible workarounds. Also, the updated version of S32DS for Vision should solve this issue.

Thanks,

Sivaraam

0 Kudos
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

Thanks for the quick reply jiri.kral@nxp.com. I'm not sure how you say that the S32DS for Vision supports the VSDK RTM_1.0.1. As far as I could see in the "ReleaseNotes.txt" file in the "s32v234_sdk" folder, the latest notes was for "2017-07-28 BLN_VISION_SDK_RTM_1.0.0". For the sake of reference, I downloaded the S32DS from the NXP site.

0 Kudos
jiri_kral
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Um, my installation release notes (Rev. 2.01 09/2017)  says that RTM v1.0.1 is supported. You probably missed some update. My S32DS for Vision v2.0 Build id: 170911.

0 Kudos
kaartic_sn
Contributor III

I don't seem to have missed any update. My S32DS for Vision v2.0 Build id: 170911. Interestingly the installation file has the name "S32DS_Vision_Linux_v2.0_b170913.bin". But, I couldn't find the release notes you're specifying (Rev. 2.01 09/2017). I could only find the release notes (Rev. 2.0, 09/2017) in my S32DS for Vision v2.0 installation. I downloaded the Linux version but the Windows version also seems to have the same release notes (Rev. 2.0, 09/2017).

Download links I used are listed below. I'm not sure whether they work but I've given them just in case.

Design Studio for VISION: link

S32DS for Vision: link

S32DS for Vision release notes: link

0 Kudos