HOWTO: Setup S32V234 EVB for debugging with S32DS for Vision and Linux BSP

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you can start debugging an S32DS for Vision project for S32V234 Cortex-A53 APEX2/ISP Linux target on the S32V234-EVB, we must first setup the hardware connections and start the Linux BSP OS.

1) Connect (1) S32V234 USB Micro B port to (2) USB A port on your PC. This allow you to connect to the Linux BSP OS via a terminal program to issue commands and to obtain the IP address.

2) Insert microSDHC card (with U-boot, Linux kernel, devicetree, and root file system loaded*) into (3) the S32V234 SD card slot

pastedImage_2.png pastedImage_3.png

3) Connect (1) Ethernet port on S32V234 daughter card to (2) LAN**. This will allow S32DS to communicate with the Linux BSP OS for flashing and GDB debugging.

pastedImage_4.png pastedImage_5.png

4) Connect the power supply to (3) S234V234 EVB

5) Turn on the (4) power switch, this will start the Linux BSP OS

pastedImage_6.png

*Instructions for preparing the SD card are provided in the VisionSDK document: ..\S32DS_Vision_v2.0\S234DS\s234v234_sdk\docs\vsdk\S32V234-EVB_SetupGuide.pdf or refer to https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-335023 

**Ensure PC is connected to LAN as well (either hardwired or wireless)

Comments

Thank you for sharing. I just bought it this month, and there's no micro usb port for s32v234-evb2 board. So guess I only need ethernet and sd card?

Hello fangyue@schaeffler.com‌,

There is 2 micro usb ports on s32v234-evb2 board, use the one labeled 'UART0'.

pastedImage_3.jpg

Best Regards,

Mike

Thank you Mike! I have another question now. I was preparing the board as below. When I got to step 3, I didn't get any infromation that the drivers have been installed, also the LED of UART0 was off. I prepared the SD card as the guide said and installed VSDK on my laptop. Could you tell me what might be the problem? Is it the microUSB cable that I used or the SD card was not prepared well? Thanks a lot in advance.steps.PNG

Hello fangyue@schaeffler.com‌,

Please ensure the HW is connected to the power supply and the power is switched on. The SD card does not matter for the Windows OS on the PC to detect a connection to the USB port on the EVB. Could you see the USB connection in the Windows Device Manager?

If you are using the S32 Design Studio, please ensure you are using v3.1. The version 3.2 does not yet support the Vision Extension Package. Also, you need to be sure to use the BSP contained within the Vision SDK v1.3, which was installed with S32 Design Studio v3.1. If you install a newer BSP to the SD card vs the version of Vision SDK you are using, then it will not work.

Were you able to connect to the HW using the terminal program?

Best Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your reply. I'm actually using S32DS.Vision.2018.R1, since I'll use S32V234EVB2 to develop some vision related project, do I need to change to v3.1?
I'm also using VSDK v1.4.1, so I'll change to v1.3.
I can't see it in windows device manager or terminal program, I tried two different USB-MicroUSB cable but still the same result, should I use certain type? Thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Yue

Hi fangyue@schaeffler.com‌,

While the S32DS for Vision 2018.R1 should work, I highly recommend that you instead use the S32 Design Studio v3.1. Our support for S32V devices will be included through the 3.x versions. Please note, it is v3.1 and NOT v3.2 you should use. We have not yet provided an updated release for the S32V support within v3.2. When we do provide this update, then you will want to move to the v3.2 release and take the new S32V package. It will support the latest VSDK release at this time as well. For now, it is just the S32 Design Studio v3.1 and then install the 'S32V2xx development package' (v3.1.1) and the Vision extension package for S32V2xx' (v1.0.0). This uses the VSDK v1.3.

As for the HW connection issue, I have had some issues with the USB connection, but it is generally after some extensive use. Is the connection of the microUSB on the EVB a good one or does it seem to not fit well? If it does not fit well, then perhaps it is not making good connection. I hope this is not the issue you are having, but it is worth the effort to check. 

At a minimum, when you connect the USB cable, you should see LED D16 flash a few times. It is red color. For me, when I connect it, WIndows incorrectly identifies it as a Mouse, as you can see below, but it still is assigned a COM port and so I can then connect with the terminal program.

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

Hope it helps!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for these detailed explanation. I installed the version as you said and found one cable which works, so now I can run the demo on my board. 

Best Regards,

Yue

No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎07-17-2017 01:39 PM
Updated by: