cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless BDM cable

freegeek
Contributor III
Guys,

I have been thinking about developing a wireless bdm tool, it would consist of a USB stick which would communicate to a tiny board which would plug into the target systems BDM 6 pin header.

The benefits would be, electrical isolation as well as a tidy workstation.

Anyone else think its a good idea?

It will only get done if there is a good response.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

prog_ram
Contributor III
well, it looks a good idea. Wireless solutions are always welcom..
but have you thought about the speed of the communication as the BDM interface between the target and the debugger should be monitored by the target clock speed (and we are talking here about Mhz)?

USB is about 2Mhz speed, I wonder if you can do it..

0 Kudos

freegeek
Contributor III
The speed of the RF inteface that would be used is no problem, its likely to be a  ZIGBEE transciever running at 250kbs, its sounds slow but today the effective bit rate abvailable with tbdml is only 64kbs so it will be no problem.
0 Kudos

mke_et
Contributor IV
Do I think it's neat? Yep. And I can see some advantages. Specifically, final products that are big and bulky and you can't get at them easily (or safely) without using USB extenion cables. Or putting a laptop right at the product. Or products that just may not be practical to hook up. Robots or other mechanical devices that 'move'.

But these are small niche targets. The real question is would the device have a 'practical' benefit to justify the additional cost and complexity?
0 Kudos