cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

implement Stepper Stall detect with stepper motor driver

ilsoojung
Contributor I

Dear NXP,

first of all, our customer want to use stepper motor controller which equipped with SSD feature.

and I know that  S12ZVH/S12XHY MCU has internal SSD feature. but, these MCUs are too heavy for their application.

my question is,

is it possible to implement a similar SSD feature with  Stepper motor driver IC(e.g, MC33932/MC34932) and general S12 MCU?

I think that motor driver IC's FB(current sensing - feedback) signal can be used for this purpose.

do you have any Idea?

thanks,

ilsoo

0 Kudos
3 Replies

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ilsoo,

The MC3x932 is not a typical stepper motor driver with microstepping sequencer, PWM current controllers and other useful features for driving stepper motors, so the whole system implementation might be very difficult.

As for the FB pin, it provides current sensing feedback of single H-Bridge high-side drivers. A ground-referenced 0.24% of load current is output to this pin. Through an external resistor to ground, the proportional feedback current can be converted to a proportional voltage equivalent and the controlling MCU can “read” the current proportional voltage with its analog-to-digital converter (ADC).

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos

ilsoojung
Contributor I

Dear Tomas,

thanks for your useful feedback.

if MC3x932 stepper motor driver is not suitable solution for this application, is there any other stepper motor driver IC which relatively easy to implement SSD?

if not, only applicable solution is use S12ZVH/S12XHY MCUs?

thanks,

ilsoo

0 Kudos

TomasVaverka
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ilsoo,

I am afraid that the only applicable solution is indeed using the S12ZVH/S12XHY MCUs. I am not aware of suitable NXP stepper motor drivers allowing relatively easy implementation of SSD.

Best regards,

Tomas

0 Kudos