TWR-S12G240-KIT

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TWR-S12G240-KIT

keithblackburn
Contributor I

I just received and assembled my Tower kit: TWR-S12G240-KIT.  I have a few very basic questions: 1. web page http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=TWR-S12G240&lang_cd=en states at the bottom that the kit should include TWR-PROTO, but my kit (from Newark Electronics) came with TWR-SER instead.  Is this correct?  If I want TWR-PROTO, do I need to order it separately?  2. Quick start guide TWRS12G240_QSG.pdf pg 5 item 3 states that the MCU board is pre-loaded with an application that makes the four LEDs flash.  When I plug the USB cable into the MCU board's connector, and then play with the pushbuttons and pot adjustment, nothing happens (only LED D2 is lit).  However, when I plug into the elevator board's connector and slide the power switch up, the four LEDs seem to be counting down in binary regardless of buttons I press or adjusting the pot.  Does the MCU application described in the quick start guide only work when the MCU board is separated from the rest of the tower?  3. I'm taking my first steps in starting my first embedded design from scratch.  Are there any relevent on-line training videos or documents other than AN4455 that would help me get started with developing applications and using the tower?  4. Regarding AN4455, section 2 (setup) states to  complete the software and hardware setup per the  User Guide, which I presume is the Quick Start guide.  My primary question is: can the AN4455 demos per performed only with the MCU board integrated with the tower, or only as a stand-alone board, or either?  It seems easy to corrupt the MCU's configuration software, so I don't want to take any chances.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

iggi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I suppose you have find the answers already, it has been a while when you post the topic. Anyway, here are my thoughts:

1. As far as i know the TWR-SER module is actually the part of the kit. But, that was few years ago i ordered some S12G tower kit.
I suppose the new kits include the proto board, but you've got some older stock.

Not sure what was the price of the kit you paid, but twr-ser is much more expensive than twr-proto.

And yes, if you want twr-proto, order it separately.

2. The MCU module TWR-S12G240 has a 6-pin header J23, close to the D1 and SW6. The J23 header is used to select the power supply source. If the jumper is in 1-2 position, the power from elevator is sourced to the MCU module. Therefore, in case you use MCU module as standalone, the jumper in J23 should be set accordingly (VB is the USB power supply)

pastedImage_0.png

3. I am not aware of video-trainings for S12G. The most relevant document is the S12G reference manual. Besides that, the AN4455 is just right thing for you. It comes with the PDF and detailed description. More examples you can find here on community, just search 'S12G examples'.

4. Either.

Regards,

iggi

0 Kudos