Recovering the MC9S12DG256 from a bad flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovering the MC9S12DG256 from a bad flash

smartone
Contributor II

I have 2 devises that use a MC9S12DG256 that failed during flash update with a in circuit programmer and how not fund by the programmer.

Q1. Is there any way of recovering the MC9S12DG256 from a bad flash?

Q2. Is there a drop in replacement for the MC9S12DG256?

Thanks Stephen

Labels (1)
8 Replies

smartone
Contributor II

Hi,

I just want to clone a MC9S12DG256, when a unit is say water damage is to copy info off chip and then flash it back on a replacement unit so the unit does not need configuration (just plug and play).

I would like to do this more reliably then l have been doing without it going bad sometime.

Plus if possible recover the bad flashed units, so they can be re-flashed and then reuse.

What software and hardware do I need to do this (in the best economical way).

Stephen

0 Kudos

smartone
Contributor II

Hi Takao Yamada,

So if I purchase USB-ML-12 = $99 I can unsecure and program a MC9S12DG256?

Dose in include shipping to UK?

Stephen

0 Kudos

takaoyamada
Contributor IV

Greetings,

USB-ML-12 will unsecure the chip using the unsecure12_utility. But you are going to need software as well if you wish to compile code and flash program. Do you have Codewarrior? Do you have any software tools? Where is your code being compiled? Are you given an S19 or PHY or GLO file to use to flash program?

We do not have free shipping or include shipping into our costs. You can do is purchase the hardware from our UK distributor if you wish to reduce shipping costs:

Computer Solutions, Ltd.
1a New Haw Road, Addlestone
Surrey KT15 2BZ
United Kingdom

Contact info:
Phone +44 (0)1 932 829 460
Fax: +44 (0)1 932 840 603
E-Mail: sales@computer-solutions.co.uk
Web: www.computer-solutions.co.uk

0 Kudos

kef2
Senior Contributor IV

You didn't say what BDM adapter are you using. Perhaps there's a way to use it to unsecure S12. It has to be so, unless adapter is valueless.

If Multilink is too expensive, you can do your own adapter with your favorite MCU. BDM protocol is well documented, see S12D documentation.

Replacement for S12DG256? S12DP256. Perhaps others with more/less flash, RAM and number of CAN instances could do also.

Edward

0 Kudos

smartone
Contributor II

I was using an xprog-m which does not seem to work very well and got me into this problem.

I did not what to spend $400 for a Multilink or $600 on a Cyclone (plus shipping to UK and import charges) to program about 10 MC9S12DG25.

Is there any cheaper ones or does anyone have a use Multilink they are looking to sell.

0 Kudos

takaoyamada
Contributor IV

Greetings,

Multilinks that work on 9(S)12(X) devices:

USB-ML-12 = $99 = P&E Microcomputer Systems - USB BDM Multilink Cable - USB BDM Interface cable for the 68HC(S)12(X) a...

USB-ML-Universal = $199 = P&E Microcomputer Systems - USB Multilink Universal - USB Multilink Universal All-In-One Development...

USB-ML-Universal-FX = $399 = P&E Microcomputer Systems - USB Multilink Universal FX - USB Multilink Universal FX All-In-One Devel...

Main difference is that USB-ML-12 only supports BDM devices (HCS08, RS08, CFV1, and HCS12X). The ML-Universal can support more devices like Kinetis ARM, PowerPC Nexus, and ColdFire. The ML-Universal FX is the same as its cheaper cousin but adds features like providing power to target, support for HC16/CPU32, and it is our fastest product.

They will all work with the unsecure_12 utility I posted earlier.

Do you only need to unsecure the chip? Do you not need a software to flash program? After unsecuring the chip, the flash will be completely blank.

Takao Yamada
P&E Microcomputer Systems

0 Kudos

kef2
Senior Contributor IV

Sounds like you have made your devices secured and your programmer has problems detecting secured parts. P&E Multilink or Cyclone? Then try using their Unsecure_12 utility. It will erase all the flash and program byte at 0xFF0F to 0xFE.

Edward

takaoyamada
Contributor IV

Greetings,

Here is the link to the unsecure_12 utility from P&E:

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=16

Use the "generic" option in the utility for your device.

Takao Yamada

P&E Microcomputer Systems

0 Kudos