MC9S12ZVC MCU with On-chip regulator, VDDX and VDDA supply

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC9S12ZVC MCU with On-chip regulator, VDDX and VDDA supply

rakshith_manjun
Contributor II

MC9S12ZVC has a on-chip voltage regulator with ballast pins BCTL and BCTLC which supply base current to the ballast transistor to get VDDX, VDDA and VDDC. The reference design uses a 5.6V zener diode at the VDDX and VDDA but the data sheet says it is a 5V input. If they are generated by the on-chip regulator why use a 5.6V zener at VDDX and VDDA? I have attached the screenshot of the schematic below.

Please Advice.Thank you!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies

Janero3
Contributor I

BCTLC pin for sure should be better known in case of zener diode voltage regulator in that applications

0 Kudos

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Raskhith,

As Daniel wrote, I also suppose that this zener diode is assembled only as protection against transient effects at VDDC pin.

However, it seems that there is obviously the error on the schematic in case of BCTLC pin connection. This pin should be connected to the PNP transistor base. This pin drives current to the PNP transistor base for achieving 5V at VDDC pin.

BCTLC.png

Per AN4867:

BCTLC1.png

Since absolute maximum for BCTLC pins is 42V, I suppose that this incorrect connection will not damage the regulator itself. However, the regulator obviously cannot work in this case and we cannot guarantee VDDC voltage and CAN PHY functionality. 

I hope it helps you

Have a great day,
Radek

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rakshith_manjun
Contributor II

Hi Radek,

Thank you for your response and also pointing out an obvious error which dint happen to come to my mind. Your response really helped me get a better understanding.

Regards,

Rakshith

0 Kudos

danielmartynek
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rakshith,
Table E-1, S12ZVC RM r.1.9 specifies VDDX, VDDC in the range of 4.8; 5.15V with External ballast PNP in Full performance mode.
But more importantly, the absolute max rating for the voltage domains is 6V (Table A-2).
Absolute maximum ratings are stress ratings only. A functional operation outside these ranges is not guaranteed.
Stress beyond these limits may affect the reliability or cause permanent damage of the device.

Regards,
Daniel

rakshith_manjun
Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your response, it really helped me get a better understanding. 

Regards,

Rakshith

0 Kudos