LIN/CAN remote gauge control with 1/6 or 1/12 stepping?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LIN/CAN remote gauge control with 1/6 or 1/12 stepping?

Brik2k
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm a bit new to working with MCUs and such and I would like some suggestions on a project I'm working on.

My goal is to create a automobile guage system that consists of one central control module which will control a number of different "dumb" instrument cluster gauge pods that will be connected via LIN or CAN. I would like to keep the gauge pods as simple as possible.

My immediate challenge is finding the best way to control the mini stepper motors that are commonly used in gauge clusters. These types of stepper motors seem to run on 1/6 and 1/12 stepping instead of the more standard 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 stepping that most stepper drivers use. I've found stepper drivers with built in LIN modules that would seemingly work perfectly as a one chip solution except they do not support the 1/6 or 1/12 microstepping that the motor would require for smooth operation.

So my question.. Can anyone suggest stocked hardware that could be used for the "dumb" gauge pods that would communicate with a Master via LIN or CAN and require minimal hardware to smoothly and accurately drive a 1/6 or 1/12 stepper motor? I'll attach a datasheet for the type of motor I'm trying to use.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

peter_pinewski
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Freescale has stepper driver micros designed just for this task.  You can look at the 9S12HY or 9S12XHY devices. the 9S12HY is a small pin package with CAN and LIN capability.

Here is the link: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=S12HY&nodeId=0162468636K100

0 Kudos

astro_goto
Contributor III

Your attachment describes M-S Quad Drivers X12.017 that can be used to produce microstepping of the M-S stepper motors. All that is needed is a microprocessor with CAN communications capability that will directly interface with the M-S Quad Drivers. Technological Arts (www.technologicalarts.com) produces a Adapt9s12DP512M1 module in a CAN configuration which includes all necessary support circuitry for the MCU, as well as a 5-Volt regulator, RS232, and two CAN transceivers on-board. This module will interface directly with the M-S Quad Drivers X12.017.

0 Kudos