Hi, am using the S12ZVMC12EVBCAN eval board for BLDC motor control. Did anybody knows the BLDC motor specification that fits well with this eval baord...? Pl help me out.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, am using the S12ZVMC12EVBCAN eval board for BLDC motor control. Did anybody knows the BLDC motor specification that fits well with this eval baord...? Pl help me out.

santoshkumar_n
Contributor III

It is given in the electrical charcteristics that the i/p voltage can vary from 3 to 26 v  and below  is the spec of the n- channel MOSFET.

RD3G450GN Electrical Specification

Vdss(V)

Id(A)

Pd(W)

Rds(on) (Ohm) for Vgs 4V

Rds(on) (Ohm) for Vgs 4.5V

1. 5.8

Rds(on) (Ohm) for Vgs 10 V

1. 4.7

Qg(nC)

Drive Voltage(V)

1. 4.5

With this details, selecting a BLDC motor in the market seems to be little tricky.

I hope NXP R&D and testing team  can help me out in saying the BLDC motor spec that they deployed to do the testing using this eval baord.

Labels (1)
3 Replies

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi santhosh,

The MTRCKTSBNZVM128 development kit contains S12ZVMx12EVB evaluation board together with LINIX 45ZWN24-90 BLDC motor:

MTRCKTSBNZVM128 page

The example motor control application software (it could be downloaded on the same page) was created for this type of motor:

http://www.linixmotor.com/3-3-Tool-Motor.html

Note: S12ZVM MCU could drive motor with power supply up to 20V. Driving motor in range 20V..26V is possible, but limited for maximum 1 hour during the lifetime of MCU.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

santoshkumar_n
Contributor III

Basically, we need to run high current Brushlesss DC motor using the S12ZVMC12EVBCAN eval board  ( May be around 40 A).

The MTRCKTSBNZVM128 development kit contains S12ZVMx12EVB evaluation board together with LINIX 45ZWN24-90 BLDC motor.The LINIX 45ZWN24-90 BLDC motor's current rating is 5.8 A given in the following link.

http://www.linixmotor.com/3-3-Tool-Motor.html

But from the datasheet of the MOSFET(RD3G450GN)(This MOSFET is used in the eval baord), got to know that Drain Current (Id) = 45A.( The complete MOSFET spec table is presented in the previous discussion)

Now my kind query is

what is the max. current rating of the BLDC motor should be such that the eval board fits well with it...?

The reason for asking the above query:

Even though the FET supports, the driver circuit i doubt it supports around 40 A.

How much maximum amps the whole driver circuit will withstand..?

Expecting the reply.

0 Kudos

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi santhosh,

You are right, MOSFETs are well dimensioned for such current. However there are several other parameters which limits maximum motor current at S12ZVMC12EVBCAN eval board.

The current shunt and amplifier implementation on board generates maximum values for currents around 20A.

So, S12ZVMC12EVBCAN eval board could be directly used for currents up to approximately 10A.

For higher currents, at least modifications in shunts and amplifier gains are necessary.

BTW: Our application engineers currently work on high current evaluation board which should be designed for currents up to approximately 50A.

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos