cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9S12XET J2 J1 firmware

programm
Contributor I

hello

regarding the datasheet of the 9S12ET familly we have acces to on 9S12J2XET256J2MAL.

on the ordering information we can read:

Second digit refers to mask or firmware revision

Numeric second digit = mask rev. (e.g.1=1M48H) A=firmware revA, version ID=0xFFFF B=firmware revB, version ID=0x0004,  W=TSMC11, Blank= flexible fab

J=TSMC3, F=ATMC, Numeric second digit = mask rev. (e.g.1=1M48H)

I understand the J, but what is the firmware revision :  is it related to a bootloader, to a can controler version or other peripheral associated to a firmware ?

if not why there are numerous version: 

eg:   9S12XET256BVAL,  9S12XET256J1VAL as an example ? could we use anyone of these 2 version (are they 100 % firmware compatible) ?

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/data_sheet/MC9S12XEP100RMV1.pdf

bests regards

Lionel

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RadekS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Lionel,

I understood to your confusion.

In case of S12XE, the firmware revision is related mainly to Emulated EEPROM state machine revision.

There running small independent core on background and manage commands for Emulated EEPROM.

Since customer does not have direct access to this core (only trough flash module commends/registers), it is part of hardware from customer’s point of view.

So, for example 5M48H and 4M48H masks are physically the same. But 5M48H have updated Emulated EEPROM firmware due to EEE Brownout. See MUCts03976 in 4M48H mask errata:

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/errata/MSE9S12XEP100_4M48H.htm

http://www.nxp.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/errata/MSE9S12XEP100_5M48H.htm

In your case (XET256):

There are masks 0N36H, 1N36H (with fixed EEE Brownout) - 9S12XET256W (produced in TSMC11 Fab)

And masks 1M53J, 2M53J (with fixed EEE Brownout) - 9S12XET256J (produced in TSMC FAB3)

If you do not want specify production Fab, you could order 9S12XET256BVAL which present masks 1N36H or 2M53J (both with fixed EEE Brownout).

Note: 9S12XET256AVAL refers to older masks 0N36H or 1M53J.

So, if you want order newest version, you could select between these part numbers:

9S12XET256J2VAL (TSMC FAB3)

9S12XET256W1VAL (TSMC11 Fab)

9S12XET256BVAL (TSMC FAB3 or TSMC11 Fab).

I hope it helps you.

Have a great day,
RadekS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

dgheyl
Contributor I

Hi Radek,

I think I'm finally understanding this, but have two questions that would help clarify things:

1.) You give the example that shows XET256J2 and XET256W1 are equivalent - the latest masksets. How would I know that J2 and W1 are equivalent?

2.) We have been ordering the generic part number for a couple of years - MC9S12XET256. I only recently started looking into these maskset specific part numbers because of availability issues with the generic part number. My assumption is that if I order the generic part number, I could get parts made with either maskset and from any fab? Is that true? If so, it would appear that I could order any of these maskset/firmware revision parts and end up with parts equivalent to what I might have received in the past. Is that true? 

Thanks so much for your help.

Dave Heyl

0 Kudos