cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publishing location data from NXP Rappid IoT Android app to the cloud

vlasov01
Contributor III

Hi,

I'd like to capture weather station data, linked them to geo position and publish to the cloud.

I'm using Android phone with NXP Rappid IoT app as a gateway. This application asks permission to use location information of the phone.

I was not able to find any geo position data published by this app even if I agree to provide location data.

I'm wondering if it is possible to achieve this in NXP Rappid IoT Studio by modifying the application and/or cloud tabs?

Regards,

Sergey

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

richard_laborde
Contributor III

@Sergey - Have you set the Geolocation of your device in the App? Use the Device Info page - the Box and Gear on the Device main page. This information is shared with the Cloud - that's why you had to agree to share the data. We don't currently have a Cloud Element to push that Geolocation data anywhere other than the Device Info. We do support the Nano GPS Click with an Example Project.

0 Kudos

vlasov01
Contributor III

@Richard

Thank you for the reply!

I've followed your instruction and set the Geolocation of the device in the App. Now I can see the device location on the Device Map in the App, but not in the studio. Is it a static location, so it it not get updated if the phone change location?

You've mentioned, that the geolocation information is shared with the Cloud.

Could you please confirm my understanding that the geolocation data is not accessible to developers at this point?

Are you planning to make it available?

Regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos

richard_laborde
Contributor III

@Sergey - You are correct, the Geolocation is only updated when you hit the Set Gelocation button. It is not currently accessible in the way you would like to use it. The Click board does continuous GPS updates, but that requires additional hardware.

vlasov01
Contributor III

@Richard - Thank you for the clarification. I don't have the GPS Click board at the moment.

I'm wondering if it is feasible to modify NXP Android app ( mobileknowledge / Weather_Station_Demo-AndroidAppPublic / source / — Bitbucket  ) and feed extra geolocation data to the Cloud?

Regards,

Sergey

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sergey,

It is feasible of course but the app you are referring to has been developped independently from the studio and is intended to kick start application development from scratch to prepare a stand alone product out of the prototyping phase.

You will have to dig into the code to call for the phone GPS

vlasov01
Contributor III

@Eric Thank you for the clarification.

Do you know if this app includes code to connect to NXP IoT Cloud (Atmosphere IoT Cloud)?

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sergey,

No, this app is not connected to the Atmosphere Cloud.

vlasov01
Contributor III

Thank you!

0 Kudos