NFC Not Working on Rapid IoT

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC Not Working on Rapid IoT

andreif
Contributor II

I cannot seem to get the NFC working on my Rapid IoT board. I have tried the NFC Element Demo from the online studio, but the phone app does not detect any tag. It seems like the tag is not identified, I have tried disabling Bluetooth and Thread on the device and trying it out that way, though that did not work either. Am I missing a setup step? 

Thank you,

Andrei.

Tags (2)
12 Replies

andreif
Contributor II

It looks like the tag has write protect, and I cannot revert it, I get this at the bottom of the tag read.

Screenshot_20190125-163257_TagInfo.jpg

Though if the tag cannot be altered, what sense does the product make?

The rapid IoT studio has blocks for writing records on the tag? They do not seem to work either. I cannot get data on the tag in any way, should this be happening or am I missing something?

Andrei.

0 Kudos

frakman
Contributor II

I just wanted to add that I was able to read and write records to the Rapid IoT device using my jailbroken iPhone and an app called "NFC Writer". I also confirmed that my phone would launch the URL (or send SMS message, call phone number etc) when reading the tag on the Rapid IoT. In this way, the Rapid IoT device acts like any other NFC tag.

I was also able to set this record programmatically in the NXP Studio using the "NXP Well Known Record" element.

andreif
Contributor II

hi there, I just cannot seem to write to the tag through the studio and the tag writer app. Would you have a code example to use on the studio? Did the example NFC Element Demo from the studio work for you? It is as if my tag was shipped locked.

Thanks,

Andrei.

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Andrei,

The NFC Element Demo works on a brand new kit as a I just tested it.

It is really weird that your kit got its tag locked.

During production, the tag is checked and written but for sure not locked.

Users can lock it by writting the appropriate bit in the tag.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/NT3H2111_2211.pdf

See section 8.3.6

I do not have any sample code ready to share for this, but you should be able to write your own and check  wether these status lock bytes  have been inadvertdely set to 1.

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

From your screen shot it appears you have an android device and you are using TagInfo app.

In order for you to debug, did you try TagWriter ? 

With this app you will be able to clear the tag content, enter the URL you want and check whether in your app it actually opens the URL.

Be aware that depending on the application you are using, it an be that the tag is ignored, therefore my advice to user tagWriter.

Once your URL is in the tag, just tap it with your phone wo being in any app, the URL should open automatically.

0 Kudos

andreif
Contributor II

hi there,

I tried writing to the tag via the app, but that did not work, I am getting Store Failed. I have then tried to erase the tag, but that did not work either, I am not sure if I have to input the file size, I tried with and without defining it but I get the same error.

Screenshot_20190123-201421_TagWriter.jpg

I cannot protect the tag either, basically, I can only read the tag (which is empty), any idea.

Andrei.

0 Kudos

andreif
Contributor II

I can erase it to factory settings but cannot format it as NDEF

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Which phone are you using to perform the test? 

Regards, 
Estephania 

0 Kudos

andreif
Contributor II

Hi there,

looks like I solved the issue with the tag not being detected - I should have tapped the back of the NXP device, my bad. I am using a Samsung Note 9.

I got that going and I could detect the tag with the NXP tag Info app, the problem is that I am trying to make the phone display custom text or a webpage transmitted from the NXP device, I have tried to send a mime record and a well known record (using those blocks in the studio) but the phone does not seem to receive that data.

when I tap the device’s nfc tag, I do not get the text I sent, for example if I set the text of a mime record to “hello” and the type to “text/plain”. The word “hello” is nowhere. I get this odd link in the memory (the actual blocks of the tag) starting with NXP...

I have tried the NXP nfc element demo off the studio but the phone is not receiving any data, the application (from the example) on the device notes that there is “no data”. Though if I scan the tag with the Tag Info app, the tag is detected. Any idea on how to get a custom string or web link sent?

Honestly, I am not 100% sure on how the android device would react to a web link, will it open it independently, without an app? And where would this web link be placed in the tag, would it be in the NDEF part or the memory itself.

thank you, 

Andrei.

0 Kudos

andreif
Contributor II

I have attached a screenshot of the data in the memory of the tag when scanned with the Tag Info app.Screenshot_20190121-224251_TagInfo.jpg

Andrei.

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

If you check the NDEF TAB you will see with more details the messages. 

If you really want to understand the memory mapping of the NTAG I2C, I would strongly recommend you to check the following video <NFC Products: NTAG I2C plus-Your entryway to NFC|NXP > which it's just a quick introduction to the device. 

To make sure I fully understood you, you want to write your own URL in the NTAG of the Rapid IoT so when it gets tapped it opens the web link ? 

Regards,

Estephania 

0 Kudos

andreif
Contributor II

thanks, I will check that video out, 

yes, that is what I would like to do, get the phone to open the web link.

Andrei.

0 Kudos