How to use "EmbeddedUART" for serial output?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use "EmbeddedUART" for serial output?

frakman
Contributor II

Using the Rapid-Iot-Studio Web UI only (not MCUXpresso):

- How do I use the EmbeddedUART element in the Embedded view of the Web UI to connect to say my laptop or a R.Pi?

I am talking about this component : pastedImage_2.png

All I want to do is to send serial messages to a console. Is that possible? Is there an example WebUI project that utilizes this element? What are the the Baud settings?  etc.

I would expect that the USB Cable to the Laptop would be a tty device I could use for serial access. I shouldn't have to have a Docking Station for something as trivial as serial logs.

- Does this device support serial over Bluetooth to a device other than the mobile app? 

If so, how do I enable and use it?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

Answering to your first question:

Mid January will intend to release the UART over USB feature so you do not need a docking station. You will just have to plug your kit to the PC to access debug functions.

For your information, we also intend to release an embedded element builder at same time so you can develop any element you need in the studio and do not have to wait for us to release the one you need.

Both features are under test and will be released next week if bug free.

Am not sure to understand your second question:

UART over BLE is available as shared by Ashok, but I am not fully clear what you mean by 'to a device other than mobile app' as:

- this 'other device' is the one who should run similar code to the mobile app. Which device do you have in mind ?

- 'mobile app': do you mean 'any mobile app' ? 

Eric

0 Kudos

frakman
Contributor II

Regarding UART over USB:

Thank you for the update. I heard about this upcoming feature since I posted this question and am looking forward to using it.

Regarding UART over BLE:

As I mentioned above, the Ashok demo uses MCUXPresso and although it's very cool, I want to use NXP Studio for this project.

"mobile app" means the "NXP Rapid IoT" mobile app

The goal is to accomplish the exact same thing as UART over USB. Namely, to get serial console output to any general purpose PC/laptop/R.Pi with Bluetooth. I am able to use this HC-05 Bluetooth Transceiver Module

pastedImage_5.png

with anything with a serial UART (like a Pi) and receive its serial output over Bluetooth on my laptop without any special software. I want to be able to receive my DebugPrint commands on my laptop over Bluetooth. Is that possible with the Rapid IoT kit using NXP Studio (not MCUXPresso)

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Ok, thanks for clarification.

There is no readily available solution for UART over BLE towards Rapid IoT mobile application & studio unfortunately.

We could tinker and translate the message into strings sent over BLE, but this will not provide the same service as UART over BLE.

To perform this for now the solution is to go via MCUXpresso.

0 Kudos

richard_laborde
Contributor III

frakman@hotmail.com‌ - Did the SerialDebug element/Example fix this issue for you?

0 Kudos

frakman
Contributor II

richard.laborde Unfortunately, it did not since I don't have a docking station. However, Eric informed me that an upgrade is coming soon to allow UART serial output over the USB so I'll test that once that becomes available. Thanks.

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Could you please check this thread? 

https://community.nxp.com/thread/489735  

I believe you will find a lot of useful information there. 

Regards, 

Estephania 

0 Kudos

frakman
Contributor II

Thank you for your response however I have read that post from start to finish and it is not useful to me at all. In fact, I read it first before posting this question.

With respect, all your responses are basically saying, watch these training videos on X, or read this post on this general topic without answering the specific questions I posed. 

- It doesn't provide an answer to how to receive serial console output via the embedded UART element using NXP Studio 

- It doesn't provide an answer to how to receive serial over BLE using NXP Studio

Everything you have pointed me to so far involves using MCUXpresso which I have no interest in using with the Rapid IoT device.

0 Kudos

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Thank you for the feedback I added the post as there was some useful information regarding the Wireless UART and there was also the mention to this thread  Demo where they make a Wireless UART with Bluetooth, which I believe was the second thing you are asking for. Sorry if that was not helpful for you. 

There are a lot of examples available but in most of the cases, there will be a modification needed to build your own and custom application.

You can check also the Debug Print Demo in the rapid iot studio,  it shows the usage of the Debug Print Element by displaying temperature data on the UART Console of the NXP Rapid IoT Development Kit. 

Regards

0 Kudos

frakman
Contributor II

Thank you for your response. However the link you provided to Rapid IoT Kit - Wireless Uart Demo is the exact same link that was in the original "UART over BLE?" link you provided which I've already read and commented about above as not being useful. They both use MCUXpresso

As for the "Debug Print Demo" . I have seen and opened it but it is not clear where this debug output goes. The description reads:

This example demonstrates the usage of the Debug Print Element by displaying temperature data on the UART Console of the NXP Rapid IoT Development Kit.

Where exactly is the console and how do I access it? I don't see anything in the guide about a console on NXP Studio.

0 Kudos