How do you turn it off?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you turn it off?

ralphxyz
Contributor III

It turns on but there is no off?? Rapid IOT prototyping kit.

Labels (1)
10 Replies

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ralph,

Yes there is a setting and looking into code there is API in the driver to adjsut backlight up or down or off.

I am not sure I am getting your question on the cables. I can interpret it in 2 ways:

Should you be willing to add your own wire, take a look below:

pastedImage_1.png

The idea is to pick the BAT SW signal referred above on SW5 (this is the switch also used for reset) 

Soldering a wire on one of the 2 bottom pins and getting it out will allow you to connect a mechanical switch which you will be able to use to turn Rapid IoT completely off (no 3.3V is supplied anymore)

Should you be willing to connect to the white 50 pins connector to access BAT_SW signal:

https://www.mouser.fr/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/DF1240-50DP-05V86?qs=zOgoZG1CgI8VnrpeRnvNMg==

We do not supply cables as expected use case is that users make use of an Hexiwear docking station

But I added aboce a link to the connectors reference so you could build your own cable.

ralphxyz
Contributor III

Thanks Eric, adding a switch would do it!! re: where do  I get cables, thanks for the links but they are for the header not 

cables. I think I will start a new thread. I want to trip a external relay whenever a Tap is sensed so I need a break out cable, "I think".

Ralph

0 Kudos

ralphxyz
Contributor III

I have the Hexiwear docking station, interesting it does turn the device on/off.

Now  I need the bluetooth password.

Ralph

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ralph,

You mean you are being asked a password when using the phone app and trying to connect to the out of the box application ?

Which application (Example project) are you using right now ?

It should not be the case in our example, but this is an option which can be changed in the code.  

0 Kudos

ralphxyz
Contributor III

There is a setting to turn the backlight off!!

Now where do I get the cables to go to a breakout board?

Ralph

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Actually only the display is turned off (Display and backlight)

The display itself consumes ballpark 100µA on top of my head so you could leave it on, but backlight is more like 10mA

The processors continue running in background.

You can have a general overview of power consumption here:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/491575

and turn what you do not need of in your project.

Remember the kit is a prototyping tool so for sure not perfect and matching all expected use cases.

This said you could tinker your own switch looking at Rapid IoT schematic.

The docking station on/off is connected to a switch which commands the regulators into Rapid IoT

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

So connecting to pin 24 at the back of the kit you could turn the kit off - This is the only way I foresee you could implement rapidly a on/off button,

estephania_mart
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

No, there is no turn off button in this version of the kit, in case you have the docking station you can use it when and turning the Docking station off. 

Sorry for the inconveniences this might cause you. 

Regards, 

Estephania 

ralphxyz
Contributor III

Well that is stupid, how much did you save by eliminating an off function?

Ralph

0 Kudos

frq05186
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ralph,

If you update OOB to the latest version, you will be able to turn display on/off.

See:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/488264

(Press SW1 and SW4 simultaneously for 5secs)

0 Kudos

ralphxyz
Contributor III

Thanks Eric, that is interesting. Is the device itself turned off?

It would be a good feature to turn the display off but leave the processor running.

One's smart phone or the web is your needed display not necessarily the device.

I still would like to be able to turn the device off, just to save the battery charge.

Ralph 

0 Kudos