cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy consumption

vlasov01
Contributor III

Hi,

I've used a Weather demo to measure battery usage by device. Even if I switch backlight off it only lasts for 2-3 hours (with active BLE connection).

I'm now trying to increase reporting interval from 1 to 10 seconds to reduce energy consumption.

Is it really the case that I can't really switch sensors off.(using IoT Studio) and it only possible to switch data reporting off?

What other options should I consider to reduce its power budget?

Regards,

Sergey

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

theophileleroy
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

To reduce power consumption of Rapid-IoT, you have multiple strategies you can think of:

First, you can lower the clock of MCU's to save power, depending on your change this can affect connectivity stack, I recommend you to proceed carefully on this one.

Secondly, you can put main MCU that is K64F in WAIT, SLEEP, DEEPSLEEP  modes. To know more about those features, please take a look at this application note: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN4503.pdf 

pastedImage_1.png

The last thing you can do is to turn off power switches on certain sensors that are energy-consuming like Air quality sensor, A1006 authentification, and ofc if you don't need it, display.

pastedImage_4.png

I recommend you do those changes via MUCXpresso IDE.

Regards

Theophile

vlasov01
Contributor III

Thank you for the information! Do you know if I can manage MCU clock and operation mode directly from NXP IoT Studio?

0 Kudos

theophileleroy
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This feature is not yet supported in NXP Studio IDE as it is an advanced feature. You can easily export project to from NXP studio to MCUXpresso using export option and use the Clock Tool configuration of MCUXpresso:

MCUXpresso Config Tools|Software Development for NXP Microcontrollers (MCUs)|NXP 

Regards,

Theophile 

vlasov01
Contributor III

Thank you!

Sergey

0 Kudos

vassily98
Contributor II

You can disable sensors via the code editor from any function, even at the start in the ATMO_Setup().

For example for the temperature sensor the code is the following:

ATMO_ENS210_SetEnabled(false);

vlasov01
Contributor III

Thank you! I'll definitely try it and report back results.

0 Kudos