cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

qemu-system-ppc64 on T1040RDB booting ppce500

vincenzodo
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to run a VM on a T1040RDB freescale board, the full command I use to start the guest is as follows:

qemu-system-ppc64 -enable-kvm -nographic -m 512 -M ppce500 -kernel vmlinux -initrd rootfs.cpio.gz -append "root=/dev/ram rw loglevel=7 console=ttyS0,115200"

but as soon as I hit enter, the qemu process starts but no output is printed on the console. The same thing happens on my laptop.

I'm able to access the qemu monitor console from which all seems to be in order. I've tested different parameters and nothing seems to work.

I've also tried with different version of QEMU (2.2.0 and 2.4.5). Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong or how to fix this?

Regards,

Vincenzo Do

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

At a brief glance, you told the guest kernel to use a serial console, but did not tell QUEMU where to redirect it. Try appending a 'serial <dev>' option to your

QEMU command line. If that doesn't help, we have a very detailed, step-by-step guide for KVM/QUEMU with QorIQ SDK:

https://freescale.sdlproducts.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/QorIQ_SDK_1.9/GUID-BEF3E4E5-BA38-403D-88...

Study and follow the described steps as close.as possible

Have a great day,
Platon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

vincenzodo
Contributor II

Thank you for your reply,

the documentation was helpful, but the problem was in the configuration of the guest kernel. Here's the series of e-mails on the qemu-ppc mailing list which helped me solve the problem: [Qemu-ppc] qemu-system-ppc64 -M ppce500 always booting to qemu monitor c

Best regards,

Vincenzo Do

0 Kudos