cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot find serial device

Jump to solution
kai_wu
Contributor III
Recently, I connected a serial device to the NXP board, which is LS1012ARDB,  see the figure below.  
1.png
after plugging in the serial device to the NXP board, the output of dmesg[1]  is shown below
dmesg_ouput_nxp.png 
new USB device is detected but the serial device is not attached. Also, no new device name appeared 
under /dev. I tried to use minicom[2] to connect ttyS0, ttyS1....ttyS3, all of them failed, I got no
response from them.
But when I plugged in a usb stick into NXP board, see diagram below. The usb stick is successfully 
detected and attached, a new device name was created under /dev. 

2.png
Instead, I plugged the serial device to my laptop using USB to serial converter too. The diagram 
shows the connection
connection_laptop.png 
The output of dmesg after plugging the serial device on my laptop is shown below, the serial device is
 attached and I can access the serial device via minicom
dmesg_output_laptop.png 
It seems that the problem is happed because of the usb driver. The signal from switch console is not recognised by the NXP boardI am stuck on this problem. 
Any help or suggestions  will be much appreciated.  
[1]dmesg (display message or driver message) is a command on most Unix-like operating 
systems that prints the message buffer of the kernel. The output of this command typically 
contains the messages produced by the device drivers.
[2]minicom: Minicom is a text-based modem control and terminal emulation program for Unix-like 
operating systems.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Is USB Serial converter support enabled in kernel menu for your board?

For example see attached snapshot from LSDK 1809 kernel menu.

This menu is available using the following in kernel menu:

Device Drivers  --->   

[*] USB support  --->    

<*>   USB Serial Converter support  --->    

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Is USB Serial converter support enabled in kernel menu for your board?

For example see attached snapshot from LSDK 1809 kernel menu.

This menu is available using the following in kernel menu:

Device Drivers  --->   

[*] USB support  --->    

<*>   USB Serial Converter support  --->    

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
kai_wu
Contributor III

Hi Pavel, Thank you so much,  I will check and let you know later.

0 Kudos