T1040RDB ethernet ports identification and pinging issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T1040RDB ethernet ports identification and pinging issue

madhukarsah
Contributor I

I have T1040RDB board. According to its block diagram where it shows 11 ethernet ports, it should show 11 ethernet interfaces in linux for reply to ifconfig -a. But i am getting only 5 interface listed namely fm1-gb0, fm1-gb1 ,fm1-gb2 ,fm1-gb3, fm1-gb4. What is it not listing the rest of the interfaces. What i need to do to list the rest?

My second problem is i assigned an IP address to fm1-gb0 port from the terminal. Now i did not know which physical port is fm1-gb0 so i kept connecting the board side cable end into different ports and tried pinging but it did not ping for any of the ports.

Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

mathiasparnaude
Contributor III

There is no direct mapping between physical Ethernet ports and interfaces (shown by ifconfig).

According to the T1040 Reference Design document (that gives a mapping), fm1-gb0 and fm1-gb1 are reserved for Ethernet ports ETH3 to ETH10. It is even written "ETH3-ETH10 belong to the switch. They are not visible as interfaces in Linux. Switch control software is required to control them.".

Maybe that evolved because in your case and in mine, even with the initial Linux in flash memory (Linux t1040rdb 3.8.13, build with Yocto 1.4.1), these interfaces are listed.

For your second problem, maybe that fm1-gb0 is reserved and can't be access directly like that (in the T1040 RM, there is a chapter called "Ethernet switch" where te sole content is "This information is under NDA. Contact local Freescale sales representative for more details.".

Behind this interface, it seems that the controller manages ETH3 to ETH7.

I also failed to use this interface as is. I think that requires more knowledge on the networking part of the SoC (and the software that manages it).

At the moment, I can use these configurations as expected reading the reference design:

- ETH0 with interface fm1-gb3

- ETH1 with interface fm1-gb4

- ETH2 with interface fm1-gb2

0 Kudos