cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2020 QoriIQ Critical and NonCritical interrupts

transporter
Contributor II

Hi,

I am working on P2020 QoriIQ on vxWorks.

I have implemented exceptions handler for Noncritical interrupts.

When I have created  "System call" exception (defined Noncritical in PowerPC™ e500 Core Family Reference Manual)  by calling  via assembly "sc".  

In my handler I have noticed that Critical Interrupt Registers are updated (CSRR0 and CSRR1).

I would expect Noncritical interrupt registers(SRR0 and SRR1) will be updated for "System call" exception.

I have also checked the value of MSR register. MSR[CE] and MSR[ME] are masked.

Can you explain this behavior?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
7 Replies

transporter
Contributor II

Hi,

I have found bug in my exception handler. I have been returning registers in the wrong order.

Thanks everybody for help!

0 Kudos

transporter
Contributor II

A system call exception sets SRR0/1. I have seen that CSRR0/1 are modified because NonCritical interrupts are immediately followed by the highest priority existing critical interrupt type( according to PowerPC™ e500 Core Family Reference Manual par. 5.10.2).

How can I disable or mask the following critical interrupt that causes reset on the target?

In my exceptions handler I make some prints only.

What can cause the debug exception?

In my MSR register MSR[DE] is set and also I have checked that DBCR0[IDM] is set also.

According to RM :

MSR[DE]      DBCR0[IDM]      Action

X                     0                     No action.

0                     1                     DBSR[UDE] is set.

1                     1                     DBSR[UDE] is set and a debug interrupt is taken.

Thank you for your help:)

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There are various things that can cause a debug exception -- see the debug chapter in the chip manual, and the contents of DBCR0.  What happens if you clear MSR[DE]?

0 Kudos

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Critical interrupts are: critical input, watchdog timer, and debug interrupts

I guess, in your case the reason of critical interrupt is debugger (if you are running under debugger control) or watchdog (if enabled and if you spend too much time in your handler)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

transporter
Contributor II

Hi Alexander,

I make only some prints in my handler. It can not be watchdog.

Can you explain about critical interrupt of the debugger?

Thank you for help:)

0 Kudos

scottwood
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

A system call exception sets SRR0/1.  It does not modify CSRR0/1.  Could you explain more about what you're seeing happen with CSRR0/1?  Was MSR[CE] masked the whole time from when you saw the previous value of CSRR0/1 to when you saw the new value?  Is it possible that software is writing to those registers for some reason?  Does the CPU execute code at the system call IVOR, or at some other exception entry point?  Is it possible some exception was taken when trying to execute code at the system call entry point?  Is it possible a debug exception was taken?

0 Kudos

transporter
Contributor II

Hi Scott,

You are right a system call exception sets SRR0/1. I have seen that CSRR0/1 are modified because NonCritical interrupts are immediately followed by the highest priority existing critical interrupt type( according to PowerPC™ e500 Core Family Reference Manual par. 5.10.2).

In my exceptions handler I make some prints only.

What can cause the debug exception?

In my MSR register MSR[DE] is set and also I have checked that DBCR0[IDM] is set also.

According to RM :

MSR[DE]      DBCR0[IDM]      Action

X                     0                     No action.

0                     1                     DBSR[UDE] is set.

1                     1                     DBSR[UDE] is set and a debug interrupt is taken.

Thank you for your help:)

0 Kudos