P1013 is having 32-bit DDR3 memory with ECC support.But during market survey i came to know that 32-bit DDR3 is available but it does not have an ECC support.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P1013 is having 32-bit DDR3 memory with ECC support.But during market survey i came to know that 32-bit DDR3 is available but it does not have an ECC support.

lakshmit
Contributor I

P1015 is having 32-bit DDR3 memory with ECC support.But during market survey i came to know that 32-bit DDR3 is available but it does not have an ECC support.ihave 3 queries:

1. will it be a problem if i use that memory without ECC?

2.In processor reference schematic also ECC is grounded.Can we work Without ECC also?

3.processor is having L1 and L2 cache which is having parity and ECC support.is it sufficient?

0 Kudos
1 Reply

LPP
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

1. P1015 DDR3 ECC is an optional feature. You can use processor without ECC.

2. RDB board doesn't support ECC and can be only used without ECC support.

3. L1/L2 cache parity and ECC functionality are independent of DDR3 ECC. These are also optional features.

Using ECC almost eliminates soft errors in memory. The majority of soft errors in DRAM chips occur as a result of background alpha particle radiation and neutrons from cosmic ray, which may change the contents of one or more memory cells or interfere with the circuitry used to read/write them. The error rates increase rapidly with rising altitude. The rate is 300 times higher at 10–12 km that is typical for airplanes. The errors are accumulated during memory operation (unless the false data is overwritten).

If an application is an office equipment or a computer that is rebooted every day, soft errors are not critical. Though, if the equipment needs to work uninterruptedly during long time or used in avionics then using ECC is very desirable.

Reference board is for basic processor evaluation and using ECC is not critical.

Have a great day,
Pavel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos