cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux using ramdisk for rootfs on p2020rdb

matt_tsai
Contributor I

Hi all,

I have some questions about loading rootfs into RAM on p2020rdb. After some investigation, it seems there are mainly two ways to do this: One is using initrd, the other one is using initramfs.

Questions I have:

1. How to create the cpio archive for initramfs (either manually or by Yocto build core-image-minimal)?

2. What is the Linux kernel command line like if we use initramfs rather than initrd?

I am not sure how Linux kernel decides to use initrd or initramfs. My guess is passing in different parameters decides which method to use.

If this is the case, what are the command lines for these two cases?

If this is not the case, can someone explain how to tell kernel to use initramfs?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

matt_tsai
Contributor I

Hi Pavel,

Thanks for the answer.

Questions:

1. In the Chapter 4 (Deploy U-Boot, Linux Kernel, and Root Filesystem to a Reference Design Board (RDB)) of the SDK 2.0 document, there is no p2020rdb listed. Could you please point out which board the users should refer to for p2020rdb in this document?

2. There is only one section (9.8) mentioning initramfs (initramfs.cpio.gz.uboot). Could you please explain how to build this for p2020rdb?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Pavel
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

NXP offers Linux SDK 1.9 for the P2020RDB board:

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/QORIQ-SDK-2.0-IC-REV0.pdf

This BSP supports ramdisk image that can be loaded with U-Boot.

See also information about using initrd and initramfs in this documentation.

Have a great day,
Pavel Chubakov

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos