LX2160A 10GBase-KR Link Training

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LX2160A 10GBase-KR Link Training

HW_Team
Contributor I

We have a LX2160A connecting to a 10G switch using 10GBase-KR mode.  We are looking to understand how to enable link training on the LX2160A in UEFI.  We have referred to the app note "AN12750 -
Enabling 10GBase-KR on QorIQ Platforms" however this seems to only refer to link training under Linux.  Similarly "AN12572 - Ethernet Backplane Driver Support" doesn't cover UEFI.

Would you please advise how best to undertake the link training under UEFI?

Thanks

Malcolm

0 Kudos
3 Replies

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

UEFI is a bootloader. As it's main purpose is to load an OS and transfer control
to it, only a very limited set of the processor features are supported in UEFI. Booting from a 10GBase-KR link is considered not a typical system startup
scenario, thus no ready guides or other provisions for enabling this kind of
link in UEFI are available. The main suggestion is this regard is, bring up your
10GBase-KR under your OS. You will have only very limited support of DPAA2 features in a bootloader, anyway. Should it be critical for your
application to have a 10GBase-KR link under UEFI, you can use the steps
recommended for u-Boot in the Application notes you mentioned as a reference
for your UEFI implementation.

Best Regards,
Platon

0 Kudos

HW_Team
Contributor I

Further to this topic we have seen a discrepancy between the AN12572 app note for the setting of the 10GBase-KR interface and the LX2160 datasheet.

In the AN12752 app note on page 6 it references that the LNaTECR0 register should be set with the command 0x10828d00 however the datasheet lists for 10G-KR mode the EQ_TYPE of the TECR0 register should be 0x2 making the register value 0x20828d00.

Would you please clarify the correct register setting to use for this register, we expect it is 0x20828d00 i.e. three tap equalization for 10G-KR mode.

Thanks

Malcolm

0 Kudos

bpe
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Regarding LNaTECR0 value, trust the description in the processor User Manual.

Best Regards,
Platon

0 Kudos