LS1088a watchdog timer

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LS1088a watchdog timer

sreekumartp
Contributor I

How can I trigger a system reset (hard reset) on the watchdog expiry of one of cores. According to the documentation, the watchdog expiry of a core results in the reset of the state of the core.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

Please could you point me to document you refer? In the preliminary LS1088a reference manual (04/2017) I see “The Watchdog module is intended to be used to apply a reset to the system in the event of a software failure and provide a way of recovering from software crashes”. It describes also Reset Request WDT Mask Registe ”RSTRQWDTMRL contains mask bits for optional masking of RESET_REQ_B generation on core thread watchdog timer expiration from the individual core threads” For example for core 7 bit they says:

“Core 7 WDT Reset Request Mask.

0b - Associated WDT can cause a reset request

1b - Associated WDT cannot cause a reset request “

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

sreekumartp
Contributor I

I looked into the sections below. Power-on & Hard reset performs a reset of the entire device. This is not the case with other reset sources. How is the WDOGRES handled in the SoC ? 

4.7.1 Reset Operations
The platform supports several inputs to reset the platform logic and/or core(s):
• Power-on reset (PORESET_B) of entire device
• External hard reset (HRESET_B) of entire device
• Core watchdog timer expiration from each core with specific WRS encoding
• Individual core reset requests from the respective cores
• Interrupt controller reset request of a core or cores initiated by software write to PIC
PIR register

4.7.2 Reset Actions
The reset control logic determines the cause of the reset, synchronizes it if necessary, and
resets the appropriate internal hardware. Each type of reset has a different impact on the
device logic:
• Power-On Reset has the greatest impact, sampling the POR configuration pins ,
resetting the entire device, including all clocking logic PLLs and fuse-related logic.
• Hard Reset resets the entire device, with the exception of:
      PLLs in some cases
      fuse-related logic in all cases
• Warm Device Reset is very similar to Hard Reset but reapplies the repair information
across the chip since portions have had power removed
Other sources of reset mentioned simply cause a reset of the state of a given core.
Registers that store fuse related information for that core are not reset.

0 Kudos

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

In any case the manual says that one can enable a core watchdog to assign RESET_REQ_B output i.e. initiate the system reset. Because the LS1088A manual is in preliminary state and as result is not public I suggest to create a technical case to the nxp technical support if you need for additional details.

0 Kudos