cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interfacing DDR3 (with ECC)

qammarabbas
Contributor IV

Hi,

I want to interface 8 separate memory chips (not a single module like DIMM)  with T1042. Moreover, i want to use the ECC option provided by the DDR memory controller of T1042. The issue is that i have not found any single DDR3 Chip having option of ECC. So how can i make use of the ECC option? 
Should i interface an extra chip as done in DIMM? 

Tags (1)
4 Replies

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Have a great day,

Yes, you should use the additional memory chip. If you are going to use 8 of 8-bit DDR memory chips for data then you should add the same 8-bit DDR memory chip for the ECC. It should be conected to the dedicated ECC byte lane of the T1042 DDR controller. Here picture for such case I extracted from the T040 reference manual. 64b_data_8b_ECC.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

qammarabbas
Contributor IV

Thank you!
If i want to interface x16 SDRAM chips instead of x8, can i use an ECC chip of x8 or is it necessary to use the ECC chip of the same configuration as the other memory chips?

0 Kudos

qammarabbas
Contributor IV

Thank you!

If i want to use a x16 memory chip instead of x8, can i use ECC chip(the extra chip) of x8? Or is it necessary to use a chip of same configuration for ECC bits as well?

0 Kudos

r8070z
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes the ECC chip configuration should be the same. It can be 8-bit chip but it should be like 8-bit half of the 16-bit chip for data.