cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to develop applications on LS1021ATSN

Jump to solution
atsushisato
Contributor I

I bought a LS1021ATSN board and it's TSN demo is working well. For the next step, I'd like to develop some applications run on OpenIL(LS1021A) which read/write date from/to some i2c devices. Since this is the first time I touch NXP devices and OpenIL, I've no idea how can I develop such applications and how to deploy it. I couldn't find any C compilers but I found python on the OpenIL, and tried to access i2c gyroscope from python script. However, the python script couldn't get the same data as pre-installed "i2cget" could.

What's the easiest way to develop such simple applications run on OpenIL?

How can I install "gcc" or bunch of python modules on to the OpenIL? (easy_install fails with SSL error when trying to install modules)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
vladimir_oltean
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Atsushi,

Thank you for the interest in OpenIL.

This distribution is based on the Buildroot build system (just as OpenWRT is). As such, typical compilation of software is not done on the target board (that is why you won't find GCC installed), but instead packages are cross-compiled on your host PC using Buildroot.

In your case, the i2cget(1) program is available through the BR2_PACKAGE_I2C_TOOLS option in Buildroot. You will have to add the line "BR2_PACKAGE_I2C_TOOLS=y" in the file configs/nxp_ls1021atsn_defconfig, then recompile OpenIL for your board by running "make nxp_ls1021atsn_defconfig; make". We are open to suggestions/pull requests (we may add i2c-tools by default in a future OpenIL release).

As Alexander correctly pointed out, you are welcome to open further support questions on OpenIL's Github issue tracker, or on http://www.openil.org/mailing.html.

*Correction: "i2cget" also seems to be available as a Busybox applet, despite the full i2c-tools package not being installed. But the point about cross-compilation using Buildroot remains valid. If you do not wish to integrate your application with Buildroot, you also have the possibility of cross-compiling with a standalone toolchain. For more details, you can adapt the steps given in the "Standalone build" chapter from sja1105-tool's README: https://github.com/openil/sja1105-tool 

-Vladimir

View solution in original post

2 Replies
vladimir_oltean
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Atsushi,

Thank you for the interest in OpenIL.

This distribution is based on the Buildroot build system (just as OpenWRT is). As such, typical compilation of software is not done on the target board (that is why you won't find GCC installed), but instead packages are cross-compiled on your host PC using Buildroot.

In your case, the i2cget(1) program is available through the BR2_PACKAGE_I2C_TOOLS option in Buildroot. You will have to add the line "BR2_PACKAGE_I2C_TOOLS=y" in the file configs/nxp_ls1021atsn_defconfig, then recompile OpenIL for your board by running "make nxp_ls1021atsn_defconfig; make". We are open to suggestions/pull requests (we may add i2c-tools by default in a future OpenIL release).

As Alexander correctly pointed out, you are welcome to open further support questions on OpenIL's Github issue tracker, or on http://www.openil.org/mailing.html.

*Correction: "i2cget" also seems to be available as a Busybox applet, despite the full i2c-tools package not being installed. But the point about cross-compilation using Buildroot remains valid. If you do not wish to integrate your application with Buildroot, you also have the possibility of cross-compiling with a standalone toolchain. For more details, you can adapt the steps given in the "Standalone build" chapter from sja1105-tool's README: https://github.com/openil/sja1105-tool 

-Vladimir

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If I understand properly, this question is more related to OpenIL than to our TSN board.

Please look OpenIL documentation at OpenIL project page:

openil/docs/manual at master · openil/openil · GitHub 

Have a great day,
Alexander
TIC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos