Generating custom u-boot image for ls1021a-twr?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating custom u-boot image for ls1021a-twr?

Jump to solution
datho
Contributor III

So I've used QorIQ SDK v1.8 and v1.9 to build u-boot images, but none of the compiled images actually run on the ls1021a-twr when programmed into the board. Before I bypassed this issue just by using the u-boot images that were available for download with the QorIQ environment.

How come the default u-boot generated by QorIQ SDK won't run on the ls1021a-twr? how can I get my custom made QorIQ u-boot images to actually run? Everything else that I used from the QorIQ SDK (kernel, ramdisk, dtb, and RCW) work just fine.

To give some context, I'm trying to get the ls1021a-twr IFC bus to try and write to an external FPGA (which will be on a custom board based on the ls1021a-twr). I've already changed the RCW and I've edited ls1021atwr.h to accommodate the changes I made in order to try and map the external FPGA into memory. The issue is that any u-boot I generate through QorIQ SDK (even the default u-boot with no changes) won't run on the ls1021a-twr.

I was able to create a meta-toolchain through bitbake. However, any attempts to source/run the /opt/fsl-qoriq/1.9/environment-setup-cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-fsl-linux-gnueabi have no effect whatsoever. I also didn't find a lot of documentation on the usage of cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-fsl-linux-gnueabi from meta-toolchain.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Dat Ho,

First of all, QorIQ SDK 1.8 is used for LS1021A 1.0 CPU, and SDK 1.9 is used for LS1021A 2.0 CPU, so you need to be aware of this and choose the correct version Linux SDK.

For how to building customized u-boot image in Yocto SDK environment, please refer to the following procedure.

After install ISOs QorIQ-SDK-<version>-SOURCE-<date>-yocto.iso and QorIQ-SDK-<version>-CORTEXA7-CACHE-<date>-yocto.iso and set up the build environment, please use the following commands to modify u-boot source and rebuild u-boot.

1. $bitbake u-boot -c cleansstate

2. $bitbake u-boot -c patch

3. Go to the source the source folder build_ls1021atwr/tmp/work/ls1021atwr-fsl-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-qoriq/2015.01+fslgit-r0/git/ to modify u-boot source.

4 . Rebuild and deploy u-boot image.

$ bitbake u-boot.

5. Modifying u-boot source again and rebuild u-boot.

$ bitbake u-boot -c configure -f

$ bitbake u-boot

Regarding how to use the standalone toolchain.

source /opt/fsl-qoriq/1.9/environment-setup-cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-fsl-linux-gnueabi

make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi- CC="arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi-gcc  --sysroot=/opt/fsl-qoriq/1.9/sysroots/cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-fsl-linux-gnueabi"  O=ls1021atwr_nor_config all

Have a great day,
Yiping

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yipingwang
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Dat Ho,

First of all, QorIQ SDK 1.8 is used for LS1021A 1.0 CPU, and SDK 1.9 is used for LS1021A 2.0 CPU, so you need to be aware of this and choose the correct version Linux SDK.

For how to building customized u-boot image in Yocto SDK environment, please refer to the following procedure.

After install ISOs QorIQ-SDK-<version>-SOURCE-<date>-yocto.iso and QorIQ-SDK-<version>-CORTEXA7-CACHE-<date>-yocto.iso and set up the build environment, please use the following commands to modify u-boot source and rebuild u-boot.

1. $bitbake u-boot -c cleansstate

2. $bitbake u-boot -c patch

3. Go to the source the source folder build_ls1021atwr/tmp/work/ls1021atwr-fsl-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-qoriq/2015.01+fslgit-r0/git/ to modify u-boot source.

4 . Rebuild and deploy u-boot image.

$ bitbake u-boot.

5. Modifying u-boot source again and rebuild u-boot.

$ bitbake u-boot -c configure -f

$ bitbake u-boot

Regarding how to use the standalone toolchain.

source /opt/fsl-qoriq/1.9/environment-setup-cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-fsl-linux-gnueabi

make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi- CC="arm-fsl-linux-gnueabi-gcc  --sysroot=/opt/fsl-qoriq/1.9/sysroots/cortexa7hf-vfp-neon-fsl-linux-gnueabi"  O=ls1021atwr_nor_config all

Have a great day,
Yiping

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos