Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bare metal appliction on QorIQ Processor

tianleizhang
Contributor I

Hi,

I am totally new to QorQ processor.

We are going to use the processor for a network communication switch application. We select QorIQ because it supports 3 Ethernet ports that we need. Our application is simple, just forwarding Ethernet packets among the Ethernet ports, so we don't think we need the Linux OS.

Could anybody suggest how should I quickly start a bare metal project, what software tool/package do I need? Is there a reference project that I can use?

Thanks,

Tianlei

Firmware Developer

Telecor Inc.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

alexander_yakov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Usually, Linux OS is embedded because it has TCP/IP protocol implemetation. I mean, if your device needs to have IP address to be managed over Ethernet, you have to implement TCP/IP protocol and the most easy way to do that is to embed Linux in your device.

Bareboard applications are of course possible. For bareboard applications we recommend using our CodeWarrior IDE (compiller and debugger) with CodeWarrior TAP debug probe.

Here is a direct link to CodeWarrior for QorIQ processors page:

CodeWarrior Dev Tools for Power Architecture|NXP

Have a great day,
Alexander

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos